What form of food for your shrimp?

What form of food do you prefer for your shrimp?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. What forms of food do you prefer for your shrimp?

• Flake
    • Shaped (pellet, squares, etc)
    • Powder

I prefer to grind up a variety of foods in to powder form and feed this way. I diperses well in the tank and gives the shrimps a better opportunity in locating the food while grazing throughout the tank. I feed this way sparingly 3 times a week. In addition to this I always have some sort of leafy green in the tank with them. Gotta eat your veggies! :P

On some tanks I use a tiny yellow two sided spoon and sorta tap the food from the spoon into the tank. My 12g long I feed one level scoop using the smaller spoon size. On my small tanks I use a flat toothpick. Just about all my tanks have babies right now  which is imo another reason to use powder foods. Which do you prefer Soothing?

Agreed powder for sure.

Mayphly here's my powder technique.

Dip my tweezers into the tank water. Maybe 1/4-1/2 inch depending on the tank.

Shake off excess water.

Then dip them into the powder of choice.

Light coating of the powder on the tweezers.

Dip them into the tank near some water flow and swirl them around a bit.

This really helps get the powder below the water surface and the flow helps move it through the tank.

I've found just sprinkling on the surface often powder gets wasted within floating plants or the edge of the tank etc.

Agreed powder for sure.

Mayphly here's my powder technique.

Dip my tweezers into the tank water. Maybe 1/4-1/2 inch depending on the tank.

Shake off excess water.

Then dip them into the powder of choice.

Light coating of the powder on the tweezers.

Dip them into the tank near some water flow and swirl them around a bit.

This really helps get the powder below the water surface and the flow helps move it through the tank.

I've found just sprinkling on the surface often powder gets wasted within floating plants or the edge of the tank etc.

Yes! Powder always into outflow for good coverage :D

Agreed. For some reason lately my shrimp have no been going for any type of regular food. Shrimp king. Sl aqua. Gold crown. Benibachi. Borneo wild. Nothing. I haven't tried using leafy greens yet again because they don't seem interested in that either. So I've been using a pinch of baby shrimp food every other day and bacter ae. They like to graze were as before they would swarm the food

I feed diff food 2 to 3 times a week , Tanks are all heavy planted so they eat 'plant stuff' .

What I do use is Borneo Wild Shrimp Shield which I use during water changes .  I could be wrong but I see a lot more babies due to it .

It seems like my shrimp really love it when I blanch a small slice of organic zucchini, or organic spinach leaf.

I just boil it for three minutes, let it cool, and them put it in, and they seem to swarm to the veggies.

I also feed the powered, so that I know they are all getting some food, and a mix of good quality food like

Shrimp King and a few others. They also love the snowflake food.

I also use a little Borneo Wild Shrimp Shield too when I do water changes.

Yeah, I don't know what it is about zucchini and spinach, but those go over the best in my tank, too. Both shrimp and Otos love 'em. The lima beans weren't too bad either.

I'm still experimenting, but I throw the pelleted versions of food in. Haven't tried pulverizing them yet. I like how bee pollen falls apart on the moss, though... that's where all my babies hang out.

I like to try stinging nettle leaf but not so sure if i can identify them correctly. may have to grow from seeds. Anybody tried it yet?

I just ordered some organic stinging nettle leaf seeds online, and I am about to plant them, in

a pot inside for now, and then move them outside to a very large pot when it is warmer.

Haha, if you've been stung by a patch of nettles, you'll likely remember it!

They're pretty distinct if you know what you're looking for, but growing is never a bad idea. I've encountered them in the "way out" where you know they're probably pesticide free, but they do like some wet, weedy disturbed areas too, where who-knows-what has been there, and I wouldn't trust them.

I grind most of my food as I have babies in all my tanks. I feed a square of Borneo growth every few days. I grind up, shrimp cuisine, spiralina, growth, earthworm powder, low-keys. A variety so they get a little bit of evrythig

-Chris

On some tanks I use a tiny yellow two sided spoon and sorta tap the food from the spoon into the tank. My 12g long I feed one level scoop using the smaller spoon size. On my small tanks I use a flat toothpick. Just about all my tanks have babies right now  which is imo another reason to use powder foods. Which do you prefer Soothing?

I have to be honest and say I've never tried powder before.  I was taught the pellet method, but over the past year or so I've heard so many valid reasons to feed powder (both from here and breeders overseas), I'm going to start and see my results.

Still a little confused with measuring though. Does 1 pellet = approx equivalent weight in powder?  It would make total sense to me, but wanted to verify.

I posted a pic to try and put in in perspective. I am feeding the small end of the spoon which is only 3 cm worth of powder. . The pellet is compressed and is about 10 cm. That would make a lot of powder. One spoon full of powder is enough to cover about a 7g tank. I feed half the spoon in my 5g tank. I hope that made sense.

I don't know why my pic came out upside down?

post-89-0-04859400-1399294226_thumb.jpg

Have been playing with making quality food for my koi and happy with the result. The most important factor is choose a wide varieties for growth, color and maintain good health. For Shrimp i would apply the the same idea.

Yeah, I'll would definitely be careful handling the stinging needle leafs. After you boil them, then they can't sting anymore.

It will be good to grow my own, then I know they are all natural, with no pesticides or anything else. The boiling takes

all of that away, but it's just better knowing when you grow it yourself. Now, if I can successfully grow it, that will be

the question.  lol

Hungle,

Koi are very big in my area. A family like 4 blocks from here has a big koi pond that extends from the side of their house under their fence and in to the front yard .

I would have thought to hot for koi 7 months a year but they seem to fair well .

Hungle,

Koi are very big in my area. A family like 4 blocks from here has a big koi pond that extends from the side of their house under their fence and in to the front yard .

I would have thought to hot for koi 7 months a year but they seem to fair well .

I don't know if we can talk about koi on this forum. If you are interested and need help you can message me.

I don't know if we can talk about koi on this forum. If you are interested and need help you can message me.

Yepper.  Should be fine.  Actually I bet many people would like to know more about koi.

"Should be alright. Maybe make a thread under the fish If,you want."

Excellent idea!