Dirt for dirted tanks

Pika

So, I know many people use Miracle Grow Organic Choice (MGOC) potting soil for dirting tanks. I've heard it's mostly because there aren't as many floaty wood bits to get out.

But what other soil options are shrimp-safe (invert-safe) and successful?

Can any potting soil be used if sifted?

For instance, reading the back of the potting soil I just got for my balcony container plants, even though it's branded with scary words like "feeds for 6 months" and "moisture control" the actual fertilizer components listed look fairly routine (although some are "polymer coated" for the slow-release) and there's no mention of added trace elements or metals, basically only NPK.

Is it legit to worry that the peat, coir, etc. might have come from pesticide treated areas and bear traces of those or of metals (like copper) or is it probably "safe" to use non-organic as long as one sifted out the big and floaty bits and extra fertilizer balls?

I would worry about anything not labeled organic when it comes to shrimp tanks, as who knows what the source material was. Manufacturers are permitted to have certian levels of metals and what not in non organic soils, that's not to say organic soils don't but with all the all organic nuts out their willing to pay any price no company would upset the gravy train. As an alternate you could use worm casing covered with turf ace. I read about this method today while looking into alternate ada soil.

Have a gniess day. -Scott

dirt for a shrimp tank is a bad idea. as it breaks down it will release toxic gas into the tank and that can kill shrimp and fast. you might see a bubble and a day or 2 later any shrimp that were in the area will prob die. its not as bad on fish because they are not as sensitive. but if you must use and organic potting soil. most use the mgo because its cheap and organic so there are not chemicals added that will harm anything.

I have the MGO in my 75, I don't think I'd recommend it for shrimp though. I feel like there are too many risks with it to put with something very sensitive to changes in water condition

Ive had MGO in my neo tanks for 2 years, no problems I did mineralize it before I placed it in a tank (rinse and dry for a few weeks to break down any organics)

ive had a tank going for about 4 years now and still get random bubbles from time to time. that tank killed off some neos. i have a betta in the tank now and she has done fine the whole time.