Shrimp dying off what should i do with the plants and substrate

So my crystals are dying off :( came home 2 of them were dead. Now I'm down to 9, water changes every 2 days won't work. I'm assuming the colony is gonna die off. If they do, what should i do with the java moss, pellia, and substrates I have?

Before throwing in the towel, why not try to salvage the tank? Check the water parameters be sure Temp, GH, KH, TDS, PH, Nitrates, Nitrites, and Ammonia are all OK. Then our community can try to help save the few shrimp that are left.

All my water parameters except for the nitrates are fine. That is why i do water changes every 2 days but it does seem to help. If i switch my crystals into a mini tank that was meant for future shrimp, can they have a chance to carry contamination with them and contaminate the water and die where i am going to put them? 

Hi Jay, I might of missed some of your previous posts, but if you have high nitrates and water changes aren't addressing the situation fast enough, what about using some Purigen.  With good water flow I would think Purigen would bring nitrates to near zero in no time.

I don't know what your water source is or your filtration setup, so apologies if you've covered this topic previously.  Just thought I would throw it out there since it (on paper) sounds like a quick fix.

Amazon (prime) 2-day imo.

I actually think most of the big box places have it also (Petco, Petsmart, Petland)..........maybe call around.  I'm pretty sure I've seen the 500mL "jars" of loose purigen around, potentially even the pre-bagged 100mL version.  

I put Purigen in that "keep for emergency" category........I have a spare bag handy should I have a nitrate problem arise.  It's your call whether or not to use it long term.....there has been some discussion here of late that it may deprive plants of nitrogen, but that seems like a minor issue in comparison to your die-off.  I have a low-tech planted 12-gallon tank with 100mL of purigen and all of the plants are lush and growing (does not hold mosses).

Are you using RO or tap?  What's the source of all the nitrates?

Here is the easy drop into your filter ready made bag of purigen   http://www.amazon.com/Seachem-116016506-Purigen-100ml/dp/B0002A5VK2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434710623&sr=8-1&keywords=purigen&pebp=1434710630222&perid=190Q8YAPDKCVN3XS22T6

The petco in my area has just recently started selling it in the lose  big jars.   

I have used purigen in every tank I have ever had and always have live plants  (no co2)    I have never had any issue with them

I doubt it's nitrates killing shrimp. If your not replacing beneficial bacteria with all those water changes your nukeing your biological. You could try Purigen if you really think it's nitrates killing shrimp. Sounds like its maybe a bacterial infection.

It's hard to help when we don't know your exact water parameters.

Are you using tap water?

Have you sprayed any type of aerosol cleaners or air freshener near the tank?

If your GH is above 7 your going to get failure to molt and shrimp deaths.

If your temp is above 80F degrees you may start to lose shrimp.

My water is from RO water and then im adding seachem equilibrium. Also i've been asking how do i know if my shrimp have a bacterial infection many times and i haven't gotten an answer from anbody....

All my water parameters except for the nitrates are fine. That is why i do water changes every 2 days but it does seem to help. If i switch my crystals into a mini tank that was meant for future shrimp, can they have a chance to carry contamination with them and contaminate the water and die where i am going to put them? 

My water is from RO water and then im adding seachem equilibrium. Also i've been asking how do i know if my shrimp have a bacterial infection many times and i haven't gotten an answer from anbody....

What is your water parameter ?

Seachem equilibrium dont work well with crs....

Try to find salty shrimp mineral.

water parameters are gh:5, kh:2, Nitrates 5.0, nitrites 0, ammonia 0, ph 6.6, temp 75, tds 110

Parameters is fine except the kh.

what is your substrate?

How long the tank is running?

substrate is ada amazonia tank has been running for about 3-4 months.

its ok maybe... :)

Try to change minerals to lower the kh.

Buy salty shrimp mineral is cheap .

change water every week 10-20% ...

can you post photos of shrimps?

the general advice is that the shrimp looks milky white, which may be hard to see depending on shell opaqueness.

I'd recommend using a shrimp specific liquid re mineralizer. MK blue diamond is great stuff, Sl aqua blue wizard is also another choice. Great value either product. 

Feed them a variety of shrimp foods, anything you can get from the sponsors on here is good, Hans sent me samples so I could see what my shrimp liked. And some fresh cucumbers and peas mine like. Also blood worms once in a while.

But use shrimp remineralizer, that's probably the problem. I use Salty Shrimp and none of my cystrals are dying.

Feed them a variety of shrimp foods, anything you can get from the sponsors on here is good, Hans sent me samples so I could see what my shrimp liked. And some fresh cucumbers and peas mine like. Also blood worms once in a while.

But use shrimp remineralizer, that's probably the problem. I use Salty Shrimp and none of my cystrals are dying.

What substrate are you using, pH and what GH to you use SS to achieve?

What substrate are you using, pH and what GH to you use SS to achieve?

I'm using controsoil. Ph around 6.3 and I remineralize to 120ish TDS which comes out to be GH 4-5