Shrimp dying off what should i do with the plants and substrate

My water is from RO water and then im adding seachem equilibrium. Also i've been asking how do i know if my shrimp have a bacterial infection many times and i haven't gotten an answer from anbody....

hi there i just recently read your thread and you mentioned using seachem equilibrium, i would assume that you are using equilibrium to raise the GH of your tank right? If so may i suggest you changing to a proper GH boosting agent that is designed for shrimp... i used equilibrium in the past and had to learn the hard way ( experiencing massive die offs) that its not the ideal GH boosting agent for shrimp... since i shifted to mosura mineral plus i have not had any deaths related to molting issues... plus the main component of equilibrium is mostly potassium not the needed calcium needed shrimps for molting... :) why not try changing to salty shrimp or any shrimp specific GH boosting agent.

Yeah I plan to get my breed blue diamond also I use equilibrium to raise the tds too since to water has 0 tds. Do you know what I should do with the plants and substrate since all my crystals died off

• 5 weeks later...

Hoho I just learned today that joes aqua uses seachem equilibrium!

Seriously? Wow! I still think sometime was off about the water, unless your shrimp have an infection no need to do anything with the plants or substrate

So my crystals are dying off :( came home 2 of them were dead. Now I'm down to 9, water changes every 2 days won't work. I'm assuming the colony is gonna die off. If they do, what should i do with the java moss, pellia, and substrates I have?

Is your tank setup for about 2 to 4 months?

Is your tank setup for about 2 to 4 months?

Shrimpy Daddy, I'm very intrigued by this question.  I've had some shrimp deaths in a tank that is 2-4 months old, and would very interested to hear what factors you feel are in play that could cause issues in this timeframe.  

Shrimpy Daddy, I'm very intrigued by this question.  I've had some shrimp deaths in a tank that is 2-4 months old, and would very interested to hear what factors you feel are in play that could cause issues in this timeframe.  

Hi,

Tank that is just set up for 2 to 4 months will usually experience the following (especially with people who are new to this hobby):

1. Over-feeding caused too much material accumulate in the substrate and filter media. This will pollute the water with toxic/ unhealthy substances that are not measurable by test kit or it causes pH to plunge.
  2. If you are using active substrate, the top layer of the substrate has depleted the nutrients. Hence, the shrimp will not be able to get enough nutrients from the water column and when they are scavenging the substrate. People who are experienced with planted tank will tell you the exact same thing.
  3. Over-dosing of products or mix different brands of products together. This problem is caused by too much of certain nutrients (sometime is different products mixed together will create toxic when at high level) and caused the shrimp unable to intake correct amount of nutrients properly.

Hi,

Tank that is just set up for 2 to 4 months will usually experience the following (especially with people who are new to this hobby):

1. Over-feeding caused too much material accumulate in the substrate and filter media. This will pollute the water with toxic/ unhealthy substances that are not measurable by test kit or it causes pH to plunge.
  2. If you are using active substrate, the top layer of the substrate has depleted the nutrients. Hence, the shrimp will not be able to get enough nutrients from the water column and when they are scavenging the substrate. People who are experienced with planted tank will tell you the exact same thing.
  3. Over-dosing of products or mix different brands of products together. This problem is caused by too much of certain nutrients (sometime is different products mixed together will create toxic when at high level) and caused the shrimp unable to intake correct amount of nutrients properly.

How does one avoid #2?

How does one avoid #2?

You will need to supplement them with the nutrients that mimic what usually the active substrate will do at the beginning. With the proper way of doing this, you can even use inert substrate to keep sensitive shrimp.

During my first 2 years of shrimp keeping, I spent a lot of time researching and experimenting on this aspect. There were a lot of debating at that time on how to supplement the shrimps. However, everyone were standing firm on what the marketing messages of the products they are supporting. Up till now, there are some debating going on with people new to this hobby. Up till now, I think only a few of my fellow shrimp keeping mates, who do not have affiliation to any commercial products, and myself is able to prove this.

You will need to supplement them with the nutrients that mimic what usually the active substrate will do at the beginning. With the proper way of doing this, you can even use inert substrate to keep sensitive shrimp.

During my first 2 years of shrimp keeping, I spent a lot of time researching and experimenting on this aspect. There were a lot of debating at that time on how to supplement the shrimps. However, everyone were standing firm on what the marketing messages of the products they are supporting. Up till now, there are some debating going on with people new to this hobby. Up till now, I think only a few of my fellow shrimp keeping mates, who do not have affiliation to any commercial products, and myself is able to prove this.

Could you name some products that effectively accomplish this? I am using MK-Breed Blood Diamond as well as Blue Diamond, will I run into issues with just these? Sorry for thread jacking Jay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Could you name some products that effectively accomplish this? I am using MK-Breed Blood Diamond as well as Blue Diamond, will I run into issues with just these? Sorry for thread jacking Jay!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hmmm... The reason why I started to develop my products is because that no commercial products can achieve what I wanted. (^_^")y

Is it possible to systematically "stir" small sections of the substrate periodically to get non-depleted nutrient substrate nearer the surface, or is this a big no-no?

I'm sure many of us still recall the (I think Ellen Wang) video where she is stirring up the whole tank...........could this be done safely in small amounts?

Stirring the substrate will drive plankton out of the substrate and shrimp loves to eat them. However, it is a double edged sword. The stirring action will cause waste material, which is potentially toxic, to release back to the water column and kill the shrimp. It also may cause nasty algae bloom.

As such, I strongly discourage doing so.