The adventure begins!

My sexy shrimp had babies last night! Ive had 2 gravid ladies in my shrimp tumbler for over a week, waiting for the big day. A month of bbs hatching next to help these lil guys size up:-)

Awesome!  Keep us posted

Congrats! I would love to see some photos of the babies. That would be tough to get good pics of.  lol

No luck on pics so far. Camera hasnt been able to focus (it might be size, or the slow constant movement from tge kreisel). As soon as I can get one thats identifiable ill post it

Not for sw shrimp. These guys are born as free floating larvae. Bbs is one of only culture growing small foods you can suspend with them once these guys morph into walking mini adults their diet will have lots more veggie matter in it

featherblue,

Very nice . A very pretty shrimp . I think they come in several patterns?   I have never kept them , have kept cleaner and harlequin but did not breed any as far as raising babies, though the harlequin pair did mate now and than .

Do you keep your shrimp with corals or anemones ?  I think sexy shrimp in the wild are found in anemones but heard in captivity they do not need it and will fair well even with hardy mushrooms.

Their base color varies from red brown to purple red based on location. Mine are on the red end

Posted Image

All the little strings are 2 day old sexy shrimp larvae

Sorry I missed your first post of questions Louie...

I keep my shrimp in my 55g mixed reef. Theres a variety of soft corals (shrooms, z oas, plays) and lps (torch, hammer, plate, candy canes). Ive got 2 mini maxi carpet anemones. The sexies love the mini maxies, the euphillias (torch, hammer, frogspawn). I keep the reef and tge tumbler at 79*

Each shrimps pattern varies slightly from what I've seen

Very Cool!

• 3 weeks later...

Actually, no. I lost tge entire first try last week to a hydroid infection. My strings just started disappearing until there were none.

Tore down the tank and bleached it, to kill off the hydroid. Going to recycle the system with dry rock this time. Way longer cycle, but zero bad hitchhikers

I believe its the plural form. The hydroids are a colonial stinging macro organism. At first it looked like an algae outbreak....but babies don't get stuck and eaten by algae

Sorry to hear you lost them, By recycling the system , I imagine you mean the small tank where you raised the baby shrimp not the 55 ?

I had a smaller separate tank besides my 55 for Harlequins but never got any babies and had them for years.

Yeah, starting the tumblers cycle over. Im sure there's hydroids in the big tank, but the only hurt tiny, larval stage things. And their population is much smaller in the big tank. Wsy less food for their population to boom