How to move shrimp to a different tank?

Shrimp lover

I am redoing my shrimp tank, and I need to take all my shrimp out so I can add substrate! I have about 25 or so in my 20 gallon planted tank! I saw on YouTube a shrimp trap, but I don't think my shrimp will fall for the food! Any suggestions on what to do? Thanks

Are you moving them all to a new tank? If so, I would take out all the plants/leaves/wood and whatever shrimp you can find... and then leave the tank running for at least a few weeks. Then I would net up babies as I found them over time.

I am dealing with the same issue - I want to set up a new tank and move them all, but I don't know how I could possibly find all the babies.

• 4 weeks later...

No need to boil.

Here's what I do:

use a small amount of the white part, a small amount of pink is OK. More than that and I start to worry about too much sugar.

Can go directly into tank, but to be safe, I soak it for a few minutes in a cup of water, to leach out sugars.

It takes a few days for them to gradually pick away at it, leaving absolutely nothing in the end.

As opposed to other foods I use, the littlest shrimps are frequently seen on the watermelon. Along with other tank microfauna. You've been warned ;)

Yep. Build up those netting muscles.

Careful with bottle traps. Not very much O2 gets into them because of still water, and you can wind up with dead shrimp.

Sage advice! I tried this trap to capture Endlers as I had hundreds of them in a thickly planted tank and it was getting too tedious to net them. I threw some food in a bottle with inverted top, filled with tank water, and let it sink into the tank. Checked back in 10 minutes and saw some trapped in there. Was working great so I left it in to trap more as i watched a show, came back to find a bunch of dead or gasping fish. The trap works great but you'll have to sit in front of the tank to monitor it and empty it periodically.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk