LED Strip Lighting

If anyone has seen my basement remodel you know that I am in the middle of building a fish room. Being that I am on a budget and looking to save where I can so I have money to buy cool new livestock! I am also looking to cut down the amount of electricity that I am using by looking a cost effective LED lighting. As most of you know it is not very cheap and if your looking at buying a few it could amount to alot of wasted money and aggravation. Being that I am lighting racks that are low tech, non co2 and contain mostly moss I am looking for low lighting. I want something that was easy to install and as I said low energy use.

After many and I mean many internet searches I came across LED tape lighting. Then I found some threads on another site where people talked about DIY lights using these cool lights. After some heavy reading I decided to pull the trigger and buy a roll of these, they sell them in many colors and options. I went with the cool white waterproof option because well they will get wet lol. It is a good deal and you get 16ft of lights for this price, you also have to order a power supply for these as they will not work if wired to a regular plug. They need to be 12 DC, this also is just a few bucks. If you are not handy at saudering you can purchase speed connecters that you can use to connect them. They are cuttable to length and easy to wire up. I am going to experiment with these and see how many rows I will need to light up a tank. Will be using them on my 20L rack and will be testing them this weekend. They are also available on Ebay for a little cheaper I just didnt want to wait the time it takes to come in, I have prime so amazon was the quickest.

SUPERNIGHT 5 Meters Cool white LED Light Strip Waterproof 60leds/m ... http://www.amazon.co...d_Du3Atb0P4VRWC

I wonder if they would be bright enough for under shelves?

Thats where I am going to put mine I think, just from plugging them in they are bright! I will post a picture tonight of just one up under the shelf, I think we use the same racks. That is why I got them to hang under shelves to light a whole shelf. You could even have multiple rows since you can just cut what you need off.

That is sweet!  Those are really cheap too.  Depending on the light you get out of them you would have spent more just getting shoplights (that's what I use).

That is sweet!  Those are really cheap too.  Depending on the light you get out of them you would have spent more just getting shoplights (that's what I use).

Yea that is why I tried these guys, shop lights suck up alot of power and these use next to nothing. I will probably build a makeshift light out of stuff I have lying around or just simply use the double sided tape and stick it to the bottom of the shelf above the tanks. I will post some more as I mess with them this weekend, I really think they will work well. They are super bright.

HOW LONG CAN MY INSTALLATION OF LETSLED® LED STRIP BE?

The general answer is: as long as you want it to be. However, you must know some limitations. You can interconnect LetsLED® Tri-Core LED strips to create longer distances but to power them you must differentiate between a series connection or a parallel connection.

In a series connection, if LetsLED® Tri-Core LED strips are interconnected the total power and thus current trough the LED strips increases and this current is limited by the design of the strip. Limit is 8A, 20 feet (6 meters). In other words, the maximum length by using a series connection is 20 feet (6 meters).

However, if you connect the strips to the Power Supply in parallel, the current through the LetsLED® Tri-Core LED strips will not increase, and therefore, you can add as many strips as you wish, powering them with one or several power supplies.

Find here a simple drawing to illustrate:

261_1.jpg
261_2.jpg

Let's also provide an example:

Imagine you need a total LetsLED® Tri-Core LED strip length of 49ft (15m) in white. It would seem logical to just interconnect three full length strips of 16.4ft (5m) to reach that length and drive them in series. However, we must take into account that each full length strip uses 72W and by Joule’s law: Power (W) = Voltage (V) x Current (A) or Current (A) = Power(W) / voltage (V) we can see that draws a 6A current working at 12V DC.

Therefore, if you interconnect 3 full length strips the power would increase to 3 x 72W = 216W and current would increase to 3 x 6A = 18A. This current must pass through the first strip to reach the last strip and as we know, the circuits on the strips are designed to withstand up to 8A so, this design of installation is not feasible.

The solution is very simple; we just need to connect the three strips in parallel, each one, having a direct connection to the Power Supply. That does not mean they cannot be interconnected or that they cannot share an accessory such as a dimmer, both are perfectly possible as long as each strip has a direct connection to the Power Supply (one or more Power Supplies).

261_3.jpg

There really are many ways to connect these, The ones that I linked are the brightest ones that they have for these. There was a few others brighter but the cost goes up exponentially. There are some dimmer very cheap ones also, I have seen where people played with the multi colored ones to get high light from a light.

I want to try to get by with the lowest amount possible. I will do some tests tonight and see what kind of light I can get out of it.

This is an interesting Topic because I light my 20 gallon longs with a CRL bulbs suspended about 6 inches off the tank as you can see in my avatar but if the led strips work out bright .   I would switch to some type strip light over the 20 gallon tanks which would look nicer than a suspended fixture .

Brightness was my concern because as is my plants grow great and 1 single bulb over the middle of each tank lights it up well but if I can get the same or more brightness with led strips will switch , plus I would like uniformed lighting and not such a bright area in middle ,so this thread is interesting .

I might try this as-well... low lights plants should grow under right?

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Any update on this? It's getting to when not having a light is holding up getting my tank going and I was between this or a fugeray. I wanted to see your review/pictures be for choosing.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

I think I will get to it later this weekend, been hectic here. Son's been sick and I am planning on going out of town for the weekend and part of next week. He has brohncitis lol can't spell.

Hi Chris

Many years ago my aunt had very bad bronkitis and grandma gave my aunt tea with fresh thyme and honey everyday until about a year later she realized that her bronkitis is gone. I came to the US and had suggested to many people and they say it helps.

I always tell people that if it doesn't help however it would'nt hurt to try since it is a natural herb.

00Camaro,

I have seen the fugeray as local pet store has it and very nice . It the marine version on a 20 gallon long . I would have ordered one (planted tank version) but they can not be laid directly on glass and my filter is on the side of tank not rear thus not possible.

I have a fugeray planted plus for my 6 gallon and love it. But am going cheap on the next build. I did buy15 feet of waterproof Led Strips today for $15 shipped. figured I could gamble if it's only $15. I haven't designed my "hood" yet. But I am thinking 3 strips, 1 strayht down, 2 at 45°.

Chris

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...