LED Strip Lighting

Really? Then it's velcro. Thanks for the tip!

Yea it comes in a square. I just chopped it up to 1 inch squares. Worked awesome, light comes with 3m tape surprised it didn't hold well. I did remove it once so that was probably the reason. I want to make a light on one and see how they do on top of the tank.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

Some of the guys around here use the 6500k strips to grow plants I would personally not do it would rather buy the individual leds and solder them that way if one breaks you can replace it.

Some of the guys around here use the 6500k strips to grow plants I would personally not do it would rather buy the individual leds and solder them that way if one breaks you can replace it.

Here though it is much cheaper to buy these lights, I can buy 16ft for 10-15$. Inidividual led cost about the same each. If these go out you can just snip off the bad and resolder if needed. You can cut every third LED. I am thinking of ordering the 6500k ones just for decent light on top of my tanks. I only grow moss and need something cheap to run a few strips across the top of the tanks. I think it would light them up well. The ones i am using now work good but they are to high off the tanks, it lights the tanks up just not to the point that I need. They are really just for light over there at this point, I plan on making the light on top of the tanks and keeping this up for when I am doing water changes or just work and need to move the light out of the way. This way I will always have it light up under there when I am doing cleaning and things like that.

• 2 weeks later...

Did a little 're working and made a homemade light out of egg crate I put about 3 strips across 4 tanks and it works great. Makes the tanks very bright.

7b388734165e8e2fe7a5ea8c1eb78688.jpg

ba2fbf3896592a7db82e1df01eaa1147.jpg

I used the one I had, it didn't seem that blue now. Looks pretty good, I ordered the daylight one and will try the same thing and make a brighter light. I can see n all the tanks now and clearly to.

It looks pretty bright - how does it compare to standard LED fixtures from Finnex?

I been looking to do the same with my new rack and after researching I found there was 3 types of LED commonly found on ebay:

This is taken from one of the the ads on there:

LED Type: 5050 300leds      5630 300leds      3528 300leds

Color: Warm Cool White      Warm Cool White      Warm Cool White

LED  Quantity 300leds  / 5M      300leds / 5M      300leds / 5M

Protection Waterproof or Non-Waterproof      Waterproof or Non-Waterproof      Waterproof or Non-Waterproof

View angle 120°      120°     120°

Working input Voltage 12VDC , 6A     12VDC ,  6A 1    2VDC , 2A

Working power 72W/5M     75W/5M     24W/5M

Working Current / M 0.35-1.2A     0.35-1.2A    0.35-0.4A

Working Temperature -20 to 50°C     -20 to 50°C     -20 to 50°C

Luminous Flux 540-600 Lumens/M     1200-1320 Lumens/M     390-450 Lumens/M

Size L500cm (5M) xw1CM Xt0.20cm      L500cm (5M) xw1.0CM Xt0.25cm     L500cm (5M) xw0.8CM Xt0.30cm

I believe the 3528 also comes in 600 LEDs / 5m,

I decided to order in the 5630 based on the above specs. Do you know which ones your is?

I've been looking at these as well. I found this youtube of someone using the 5630 to grow emmersed plants. Looks plenty bright.

There are so many sellers, I'm trying to find the best price with transformer that has a dimmer.

Taylor, what did you get to plug these into? And how long are the connecting cables? I just got some of the LED waterproof tape lights in the 16ft. And I didn't realize it didn't come with the plug :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Taylor, what did you get to plug these into? And how long are the connecting cables? I just got some of the LED waterproof tape lights in the 16ft. And I didn't realize it didn't come with the plug :(

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here is a few power supplies that can be used. They are pretty simple 12v supplies, best to get the ones with the adapter to connect the wires to.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_i_3_16?url=search-alias%3Dtools&field-keywords=led%20strip%20light%20power%20supply&sprefix=led+strip+light+%2Ctools%2C329