Hair line algae help

Doc4PC2

In my 10 gallon with a few fish, I keep getting this hair line algae. Where does it come from?

How do I get rid of it? I cut it all out, but it comes back. I don't have other algae, or algae on the glass.

There are lots of plants in the tank, and a UV sterilizer, biowheel 200 hob, sponge filter. The water is clear, and water quality is great. Just keep getting this hair line algae on everything, plants, moss, moss balls, decorations, etc.

Thanks for help to help me get rid of it, and where it comes from.

I only run the light for 6 hours a day right now, but still no changes.

I would find out first the cause for this algae. Is it too much nutrients in the tank? Could be too much Phosphates in the water?

Are you using tap water? Test the water!

String algae or hair algae?

Post a photo. I've had a pretty bad spiro outbreak lately and I got rid of it but at extreme measures.

I also have a small outbreak of cyano bacteria (blue green algae) I'm trying to get rid of in another tank. I think the bg algae is caused by shortage in no3 if I'm not mistaken. But easily fixed with repetitive spot treatments of peroxide

Blue green algae is the easiest one to get rid of.  Since it is a bacteria you can use antibiotics to kill it :)

Likely your light is to bright given your CO2 and nutrients and that is causing the hair algae.  I have found Excel and Hydrogen Peroxide work pretty well on hair algae.

Blue green algae is the easiest one to get rid of.  Since it is a bacteria you can use antibiotics to kill it :)

Likely your light is to bright given your CO2 and nutrients and that is causing the hair algae.  I have found Excel and Hydrogen Peroxide work pretty well on hair algae.

Is peroxide safe in shrimp tanks? if so how much do you dilute it?

It is but use it in half doses. And change your water after 20 minutes. Excel is iffy in shrimp tanks.

It depends is it hair algae string algae or spyrogyra. Spiro is damn near immune to peroxide and excel. The only way I got rid of it was tearing the plants and hard scape affected out dunking in almost pure peroxide. Almost pure excel. And then 5050 water and algaecide.

Thanks everyone! I'll try the taking it out and dunking it in Excel and peroxide.

I use RO Water, and this 10 gallon tank here, only has 4 fish in it and a couple of ottos.

It is hair algae.

If ita hair algae be careful with the dosage of peroxide and excel. Use peroxide as two parts to four or five parts water. And use excel as a spot treatment after the peroxide. Hair algae is easier to get rod of than the others

okay, good stuff to know!

Only way I found was to manually remove it and a little bit of excel. Usually a combination of too bright a light and too much nutrients in the water.