Setting Up A Tank With An HMF Filter

I recently installed Hamburg Mattenfilters (HMF) into six 10 gallon tanks using 45ppi foam along with jetlifter tubes from Swiss Tropicals.

The foam blocks came pre cut 12 x 10 3/4" and the jetlifter tubes came pre assembled.

I like them them so much I thought I'd share with you how I installed them.

Step 1.

I dry fitted the foam blocks inside of the tank and made sure it fit to my liking. My plan was to add bio-rings along with the heater and jetlifter tube behind the foam. Once I fit my foam I removed it and cut a hole in the top where I wanted my jetlifter tube to exit. I used the jetlifter tube to cut the hole aprox 1" from the top in the center of the foam. You can twist the JL tube into the foam to cut it. You'll end up with a nice perfect fit.

post-89-0-36224300-1436711169_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-98540100-1436711196_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-55197500-1436711251_thumb.jpg

Step 2.

I installed my tubing on to the JL (jetlifter) tube and placed the JL into the foam. Then I inserted the foam back into the tank. Make sure you have enough tubing attached to the JL to reach your air pump. Next I placed my tank up on it's end and slid my bio-rings in. If I tried to just drop my bio-rings in they would kick the bottom of the foam out. I also placed my heater in behind the foam at this point.

post-89-0-85203800-1436711310_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-22117500-1436711346_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-13558500-1436711384_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-49014500-1436711358_thumb.jpg

Step 3.

I added my bacteria to the bottom of the tank before adding my substrate. I decided to use Mosura Old Sea Mud, Bacter AE and SL- Magic Powder.  I also sprinkled some of the powders behind the filter over my bio-rings. The bacteria will help cycle the tank.

** At the time of writing this I did use Bacter AE on the bottom of my tank with no ill effects to any of my shrimps. Since then it has been recommended not to do this.**

post-89-0-34224000-1436711416_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-57813700-1436711431_thumb.jpg

Step 4.

I rinsed my substrate to remove any debris before adding it to my tank. There was a lot of wood shavings in my gravel along with some purple, pink and blue rocks. I decided to go with natural colored gravel. Once rinsed I added my substrate in front of the filter. I suppose if you wanted to you could even add some behind the filter but I chose not to.

post-89-0-31389200-1436711480_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-57575600-1436711501_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-44381000-1436711512_thumb.jpg

Step 5.

Fill the tank with water. Connect your airline tubing from the JL to your air pump and let it run. Now your ready to cycle your tank.

post-89-0-97516800-1436711551_thumb.jpg

post-89-0-17008900-1436711576_thumb.jpg

I usually see the hmf laid straight in the tank. Why did you curve it?

I intentially installed it this way to fit the bio ring bag in there. It's also easier for me to syphon my water from there instead of disturbing anything in the front of the tank. Plus I think it looks cool. You most definitely can install it straight in the tank if you want to. You could even sillicone some clear rails and tuck it in the corner. Swiss Tropicals sells the kit to install it in the corner. But it costs more.

Andy - that is a great way to cut the hole for the jet lifter.  I used a knife to cut from the top down to have the jet lifter sit down inside the top - but your method is much cleaner and the jet lifter won't move this way.  Next time I will do it your way.  And I love the HMF - only filtration I use in my tanks.

Andy - that is a great way to cut the hole for the jet lifter.  I used a knife to cut from the top down to have the jet lifter sit down inside the top - but your method is much cleaner and the jet lifter won't move this way.  Next time I will do it your way.  And I love the HMF - only filtration I use in my tanks.

Stephan @ ST told me about another way. get the sponge wet and freeze it. then you can drill a hole through it. I havent tried it that method, I did it like Andy.

Like the idea. Could you have put a 1, 2 inch extension on the outflow pipe and put the intake behind the bag of media?

I don't see why not. That way the water gets sucked through the bag. Makes good sense!

Andy and I were having a conversation about aeration yesterday and after that I decided to build a closed loop air supply. I bought a new larger air pump and some manifolds and fittings last night. Should have this set up on wednesday night. It is ideal for my new rack. And I gave myself room to expand with 2-3 more tanks, I will be doing HMF's on all my new tanks.

• 2 months later...

Bechena, I think you'll really like the HMF. My favorite thing about them is the flow and how much oxygen it adds to the water. That makes for happy shrimp[emoji4]

also probably the most cost effective ways to build a rack of tanks. only 1 power source for all the filtration with a central air pump.

the HMF material will last many many years. if you are building a rack for long term investment to possibly breed shrimp for a little funny money then HMF + air loop is the best way.

I have a few diy HMF and they are great for my shrimp and Apistos. I was wondering how fellow hmf lovers go about cleaning their filters on the infrequent occasions when they need a cleaning, that is without breaking down their setups?

I don't clean mine, when I do water changes I turn off the air to the Jet Lifter then siphon the front side of the HMF. This seems to work great and the flow is always high.

with shrimp tanks. def dont need to clean them. your soil will have expired long before. when resetting a tank best to not let the HMF dry out. keep it in a bucket of tank water while you change out the soil.

Thanks for the insights. Will soon need to try one or both.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm using 45ppi. I believe my substrate will loose it's buffering capabilities before I will need to ever clean the sponge. 45ppi was recommended to me for shrimp. I'm not sure what 30ppi looks like.