my new fish (new pics 5-14-14)

wicca32

finally getting fish for the new tank. this beauty is the first one. a beautiful albino bristle nose long fin. managed to find a white one not the normally yellow colored ones. i will also be getting some blue eye bn first of the week. and a green coming soon as well.

10334424_745593362159520_462149012174367

10308170_745593365492853_168975207238521

Nice looks healthy. I like the white ones to. Not too fond of the yellow ones. Although trying to get a red marbled pair to,breed. Them and the green dragons are cool

-Chris

very cool!

Do you prefer a F over a M or you are getting another male to breed them?

The males have that neat 'bristle' head .

A friend has clown plecos (maccus) in a 125 gallon , He rarely if ever see's them but he does find babies .

Very nice , Do they get along with each other if same sex ?

I imagine they nibble on your driftwood?

I recall when the Calico's came out years ago, they were rather expensive but the price has now come down like 90% on them .

We have huge plecos in the area canals but nothing small and cute like bristlenose .

Great bristlenose . Do you see him much or mostly hides?

Mine hide a lot but once settled in they are right or there waiting on food. At with my discus lol

-Chris

yeah bristle nose need wood to rasp on for part of their diet. they will get zucchini and spinach in their diet along with algae wafers and some higher protein stuff. yes they get along for the most part. like all fish the males will spar for territory so you have to make sure there are alot of caves for them but other than that its all good

Ctaylor,

Ah the discus people are like a cult lol  . There is a guy in the area who went decades ago with Jack Wattley who lives here in Florida to collect discus in the Amazon . He has a couple of Wattley discus strains reddish but not sure of the name.

I gave him some cory sterbai not long ago from my pond as had to many .

Ctaylor,

Ah the discus people are like a cult lol  . There is a guy in the area who went decades ago with Jack Wattley who lives here in Florida to collect discus in the Amazon . He has a couple of Wattley discus strains reddish but not sure of the name.

I gave him some cory sterbai not long ago from my pond as had to many .

Discus are more addicting then shrimp lol. The fun part is that they get 8 inches big, and have a personality. They will literally rub against my hand and let me "pet" them when I put my hand in when they want fed. They also notice if someone else is in the room and will be shy if it not myself or my wife at the tank. They are really cool to watch, so yea we get obsessed lol. The reason I got into shrimp was so that I didnt buy anymore discus lol because the tanks they need are more work and large. Wanted to downsize lol but just added more small tanks.

ctaylor,

I said the discus keepers were like a cult as had friends through out the years who kept them, they were rather anal on their care and remember they used to get into arguments over aspects of discus care , lol   .One still has them.  I don't know how they are kept now but my friends were make food for them beefheart, worm ,etc combos .

In the 70s the only discus were the wild color but by think early to mid 80s , if not later a few colors began to appear in the hobby . The prices were insane , lol . The die off was absurd , We used to call them 'freshwater marine fish" because they were than harder than marine fish .

They were kept with angelfish back than because the theory was that they were found in same vicinity but later people realized that adult angels were too aggressive and think it turned out that angels were found in cooler water but of course same river.

They are very pretty and I do like the different type strains.

it will stay that white as an adult. they are born yellow if they will be yellow. i got them from a friend in ohio. she only gets about 25% if that much some times of the whites. we did a trade last summer and i have been bitting at the bit waiting for a tank so i could get them.

on a side note is there any way to move the discus chatter to another thread?

It will be quit striking as a White adult . I recall seeing white for sale for like $100 few yrs ago in bristlenoseworld.com  .

I did not keep them but the forum at the time had a marine section .

i was told the female white was about 5 months old. she will get bigger than they blue eyes so i hope breeding will be ok. she will get about 5-6 inches when full grown where as the blue eyes tend to stay about 4 as adults. now just to get my green long fin and i will be happy