Fish with shrimp?!?

shrimpybuisness

I keep ottos and pygmy hatchets in my CRS display tank.

They are surface dwelling fish with tiny little weird mouths, and have never bothered my shrimp at all.  I Honestly don't think they even SEE the shrimp.  When I started the tank, I put in 5 CRS, and within a few months had around 50.

The hatchets thrive in the same water conditions as caridinas and are just neat little fish, so thats a bonus.

• 2 weeks later...

I have CPD's, pigmy corys, otos, and amanos, with my cherrys, and by far the biggest threat to my rcs are the amanos. I've seen a huge female try to attack a pigmy Cory, and someone (either here or on another forum) posted a pic of an who Amano systematically was picking off snails without detection for sometime till it was caught red handed.

I have CPD's, pigmy corys, otos, and amanos, with my cherrys, and by far the biggest threat to my rcs are the amanos. I've seen a huge female try to attack a pigmy Cory, and someone (either here or on another forum) posted a pic of an who Amano systematically was picking off snails without detection for sometime till it was caught red handed.

HAHA i just ordered pygmy corys!!! How do they do with your shrimp? And do you know how to breed them? (like can i seperate the eggs, if they have any)

Couldnt resist picking up this yo-yo loach from my LFS. I felt so guilty just looking at everything so when the lady was like can i help you i was like do you have any loaches? it was 7$!!!! I didnt want to say no so....

post-1828-0-25116300-1442250851_thumb.jp

HAHA i just ordered pygmy corys!!! How do they do with your shrimp? And do you know how to breed them? (like can i seperate the eggs, if they have any)

Never bred corys. They do well with everyone though. I have two ol' Amano girls who are just nasty. They plow through anyone in there way. The pygmys are cute and have personality. I haven't had them long. I think they'll do we'll. I've had my CPD's with shrimp for a long time now, and they're all one happy community. Originally I got them to get rid of the worms that come with shrimp keeping.

You can find a good amount of info on the net on breeding corys, though I don't know if there's been much success with pygmys.

You know, I  wouldn't do it but I gave 10 of my shrimp to someone who keeps fish (I'm not good at naming them but there are some small tetras, guppies, endlers, maybe something else). I gave them when they were almost adults. Everytime I visited there I see at least 3-5 shrimp (now all females saddled and today saw one berried). I've never seen the fish interested in the shrimp at all. They swim around and even don't take a look at the shrimp. But that tank has some places where shrimp can hide but I see them mostly on plants, not hiding. Maybe these fish are fed very good?

Anything other than Ottos and your shrimps will be hiding, nipped at or eaten.  

I tried my best to take some pictures today while the shrimp and otos were enjoying some blanch pumpkin. You can see a baby shrimp on otos head. Sometimes shrimp will bother the otos until they shoo the shrimp away with their tails.

That must be cool to watch

post-2484-0-57187900-1442943280_thumb.jp

post-2484-0-09686900-1442943292_thumb.jp

I've kept hasbrosus cories, clown killifish, otos, bristle nose plecos, L134 plecos, and thread fin rainbowfish with my shrimp with no issues that I could see. I am curious to see if I can keep Kuhli loaches or dwarf frogs..I imagine the latter is too lumbering to be able to catch any shrimplets.

Also, never tried this but was told by some discus breeders that ANY cory catfish should be fine with shrimplets as they use cories of all sizes in all their breeding and grow out tanks with no harm to discus eggs or fry. They said that cories are literally oblivious. I've only worked up the courage to keep Pygmy cories but was hoping to get some red laser cories and was wondering if anyone kept any normal sized cories with their shrimp?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 1 month later...

I keep neos with Bristlenose, The shrimp colony is huge and tonnes of babies at any given time. I have a giant blob of java moss the shrimp find refuge there. I find the bristlenose don't bother them. In fact, many times I catch the shrimp taking a ride on the bristlenose back! hehe!

That being said, I wouldn't keep my prized shrimp with anything that could even accidentally hurt them.

I keep neos with Bristlenose, The shrimp colony is huge and tonnes of babies at any given time. I have a giant blob of java moss the shrimp find refuge there. I find the bristlenose don't bother them. In fact, many times I catch the shrimp taking a ride on the bristlenose back! hehe!

That being said, I wouldn't keep my prized shrimp with anything that could even accidentally hurt them.

Hahaha same here i find my shrimp annoying my fish more than the fish bother the shrimp!

I keep tiger, lime green and red males endlers  NOT females with shrimp in a 29 gallon high tank and in a heavy planted 20 gallon long tank of crystals I keep 4 mini moth catfish that aquaticarts sells .

My shrimp population has only grown plus the mini moth cats ate all the planaria which was nice .

post-74-0-46140100-1447806568_thumb.jpg

You know, I  wouldn't do it but I gave 10 of my shrimp to someone who keeps fish (I'm not good at naming them but there are some small tetras, guppies, endlers, maybe something else). I gave them when they were almost adults. Everytime I visited there I see at least 3-5 shrimp (now all females saddled and today saw one berried). I've never seen the fish interested in the shrimp at all. They swim around and even don't take a look at the shrimp. But that tank has some places where shrimp can hide but I see them mostly on plants, not hiding. Maybe these fish are fed very good?

I have found female guppies and F endlers simply lethal for small shrimp because they pick them off or nip at them if they catch them swimming mid tank .

The much smaller males I have found to be completely safe .

I've successfully housed RCS with panda corys and a male betta. He is the sweetest most chill guy though, never nips fins or gets upset when his territory is invaded. Ive moved the RCS to their own tank anyway since I figure shrimplets will get eaten regardless. I kept some big fat ghost shrimp with my other betta but he is sooooo aggressive he would bite off antenna and hunt them down. Those guys have their own home now too. Im surprised how cheap ghost shrimp are in the US, LFS here wants $3 a piece!

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

I've successfully housed RCS with panda corys and a male betta. He is the sweetest most chill guy though, never nips fins or gets upset when his territory is invaded. Ive moved the RCS to their own tank anyway since I figure shrimplets will get eaten regardless. I kept some big fat ghost shrimp with my other betta but he is sooooo aggressive he would bite off antenna and hunt them down. Those guys have their own home now too. Im surprised how cheap ghost shrimp are in the US, LFS here wants $3 a piece!

I always wanted Panda Loachs but i they are expensive. Any clue where to buy them for a decent price?

I always wanted Panda Loachs but i they are expensive. Any clue where to buy them for a decent price?

Loaches or Cory's? I've only had Cory's and they are hard to come by. I only have two right now as I'm waiting for the LFS to get them in for me. I live in Canada so no idea where you would find them! Good luck though, if it is the Cory's your looking for, they are really cool little guys to watch. Not your usual bottom feeder.

Loaches or Cory's? I've only had Cory's and they are hard to come by. I only have two right now as I'm waiting for the LFS to get them in for me. I live in Canada so no idea where you would find them! Good luck though, if it is the Cory's your looking for, they are really cool little guys to watch. Not your usual bottom feeder.

Oops didn't see you said cories u thought you said loaches

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk