Fish with shrimp?!?

shrimpybuisness

Oops didn't see you said cories u thought you said loaches

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Haha thats ok panda loaches are so cool. They are super cute but i have never seen them anywhere here! Id love to keep a few as well.

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...

I've successfully housed RCS with panda corys and a male betta. He is the sweetest most chill guy though, never nips fins or gets upset when his territory is invaded. Ive moved the RCS to their own tank anyway since I figure shrimplets will get eaten regardless. I kept some big fat ghost shrimp with my other betta but he is sooooo aggressive he would bite off antenna and hunt them down. Those guys have their own home now too. Im surprised how cheap ghost shrimp are in the US, LFS here wants $3 a piece!

Ghost shrimps are caught in Florida and think 2 other states thus cheaper than Canada .  I have netted them by accident in shallow grassy marsh while trying to catch little fish .

I find them underrated and fascinating but they will hunt and kill the smaller fancier shrimp babies . I have bred them outside in shaded tubs during hottest part of summer but have never bred them inside .

They are often listed as cool water shrimps on sites but I disagree with that . They like it warm .

Have you been able to breed yours ?

Ghost shrimps are caught in Florida and think 2 other states thus cheaper than Canada . I have netted them by accident in shallow grassy marsh while trying to catch little fish .

I find them underrated and fascinating but they will hunt and kill the smaller fancier shrimp babies . I have bred them outside in shaded tubs during hottest part of summer but have never bred them inside .

They are often listed as cool water shrimps on sites but I disagree with that . They like it warm .

Have you been able to breed yours ?

I had one female berried but the adults all died within a few months. Water was fine food was clean of copper just think they weren't kept well that the LFS. I do enjoy them though they really i e to swim around and are much bolder than the little guys!

Ive kept ottos with my TBs and never had any problems with the ottos looking at baby shrimps or adults. I raised several TB babies in this planted tank. The otto kept the plants free of hair algae and the ramshorn snails cleaned up any leftover food.

Ive heard that Chilli Rasboras and any of the Micro Rasboras are a good option for shrimp tanks. I am getting some Chilis myself to try out, so will see how that goes with my Pinto Mischlings.

I had one female berried but the adults all died within a few months. Water was fine food was clean of copper just think they weren't kept well that the LFS. I do enjoy them though they really i e to swim around and are much bolder than the little guys!

I find ghost shrimp unless directly collected locally way more delicate than lets say cherry shrimp .

The one's I have collected thrive and still have good size one's which I collected a year ago . The pet store bought one's don't live long .

I used to have Indian whisker shrimp which were killers . They even killed adult male guppies . They look like bigger ghost shrimp and some color and very active .

I mention them as very hardy and if you like the active ghost shrimp you'll love them but they cant be kept with other smaller shrimp nor fish other than bigger cories .