Problematic Tank that has Controsoil as Substrate

Shrimpy Daddy

Hi all,

Recently, almost everyone who was asking for my help has a common pattern. It is the tank has Controsoil as substrate. Just yesterday alone, there are 3 cases and today there are 2 cases.

Not saying Controsoil is problematic, but it is similar to last time with ADA AS, when more people are using it then the challenges will start to surface.

As such, I am starting this thread for people who are facing problem with their tank that is using Controsoil to share their problem. In this way, we may able to find out the pattern and maybe learn how to use this substrate in a better manner.

If you are facing problem, please tell us what problems you are facing and starting when (how long the tank is setup). For those who does not have a problem, please refrain from posting. If possible, let us know when did you buy the Controsoil so that we know which batch is it.

Thanks. ^^

Shrimpy Daddy

I have set up three Controsoil tanks first one beginning of April, next end of April and the last end of June. So far I have experience massive deaths in the first two tanks. I have thoroughly cycled these tanks for a minimum of 4 weeks each time. After introducing shrimp everything seems fine then at some point usually a month in shrimp start dying. I have lost at least 25-30 adult shrimp and another 20-30 baby shrimp since the spring.  I have tested these tanks repeatedly and all levels are fine 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, >5ppm Nitrates. These tanks have held TB, Golden Bee, Pintos and even Neos. I have lost all types of shrimp. Ph has stayed stable aroun 6-6.2. My last set up Controsoil tank had shrimp introduced Saturday August 1st (low grade CRS) and so far no deaths until this past Saturday and very healthy looking shrimp. I added 15 RKK mischlings from Joe Chang this past Thursday and found one tiny baby dead from that shipment on Saturday.  My first two Controsoil tanks were 10g with AC 20's and dual sponge filters all equipement was identical. The 20L has an HMF filter from Swiss Tropicals only. I have been beyond frustrated and discouraged but my shrimp friends have been very supportive and helpful about trying to get my colonies back. I am very curious to see if this is a common problem with Controsoil tanks.

I have been beyond frustrated and discouraged but my shrimp friends have been very supportive and helpful about trying to get my colonies back. I am very curious to see if this is a common problem with Controsoil tanks.

Don't be discourage. Next time if you come to HK and I will give you 10 JRB for free. :)

I purchased my controsoil March of this year. My tank has been set up for 5 months. I started seeing 3-4 random deaths a month starting in June, which was the 3 month mark for my tank. I had no baby survival up to this point because my GH and TDS were too high. After correcting these parameters I continued to have mysterious deaths. No signs of infection. A little over two weeks ago I did a sterilization with revive vita and reset my tank with Shrimpy Daddy products. I've had 13 young adult to adult shrimp die and around 40 babies die. I have two large sponge filters, one is a dual sponge filter and a marina breeder box with airstone. I am also using purigen at the output of one of the filters. I checked my parameters this morning and they were as follows: pH 6.4, TDS 161, GH 8, KH 0, temp 76.7 (recommended by Shrimpy daddy), ammonia nitrite nitrate all 0. I've been following the recommended dosing regime of Shrimpy daddy products.

I have set up three Controsoil tanks first one beginning of April, next end of April and the last end of June. So far I have experience massive deaths in the first two tanks. I have thoroughly cycled these tanks for a minimum of 4 weeks each time. After introducing shrimp everything seems fine then at some point usually a month in shrimp start dying. I have lost at least 25-30 adult shrimp and another 20-30 baby shrimp since the spring.  I have tested these tanks repeatedly and all levels are fine 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, >5ppm Nitrates. These tanks have held TB, Golden Bee, Pintos and even Neos. I have lost all types of shrimp. Ph has stayed stable aroun 6-6.2. My last set up Controsoil tank had shrimp introduced Saturday August 1st (low grade CRS) and so far no deaths until this past Saturday and very healthy looking shrimp. I added 15 RKK mischlings from Joe Chang this past Thursday and found one tiny baby dead from that shipment on Saturday.  My first two Controsoil tanks were 10g with AC 20's and dual sponge filters all equipement was identical. The 20L has an HMF filter from Swiss Tropicals only. I have been beyond frustrated and discouraged but my shrimp friends have been very supportive and helpful about trying to get my colonies back. I am very curious to see if this is a common problem with Controsoil tanks.

Hey mate,

You left out one of the information findings. The smell of the substrate or water (can't remember what you told me).

Hey mate,

You left out one of the information findings. The smell of the substrate or water (can't remember what you told me).

One tank had a smell like kerosene, the other identical tank using the other half of the exact same bag did not have the smell. 

I've had the same issue with my SD tank with no breeding and slow deaths.  It was set up last March using SD products and Controsoil.  My ADA 60p tank was cycled for 2months (just to be safe).  In the end of May, i added some carbon rili as test shrimps and monitored the shrimps for 2 weeks.  i notice no breeding and or new shrimplets (these carbon rilis were adult shrimps from my 12g long).  I figured that maybe the low PH might have affected their breeding so i removed them and placed them back into my 12g long (salty shrimp reminerlizer and bacter ae) although i've had great success with carbon rilis and low PH.  I then added in 10bkk and 10rkk, these were also adult size shrimps and some were already berried.  The group of 20 bkk&rkk slowly dwindled until i had about 5 left.  During this event, i would periodically check my parameters and they all check out. pH 6.4, TDS 180, GH 7, KH 0, temp 76. ammonia 0 no2 0 no3 0.  and could not understand why none of them are surviving even though they all look healthy and actively grazing.  Last month i moved some more shrimps that i purchase from Joe's aqua sale and BlueCrownAquatic sale with the hopes that they'll survive.  so far i've lost another 10 bluebolt and 5rkk and a few pintos.  There is no weird smell coming from my soil nor and weird smell in the water.  FIlteration for the tank is Eheim 2217 and two dual sponge filter. 

I've had the same issue with my SD tank with no breeding and slow deaths. It was set up last March using SD products and Controsoil. My ADA 60p tank was cycled for 2months (just to be safe). In the end of May, i added some carbon rili as test shrimps and monitored the shrimps for 2 weeks. i notice no breeding and or new shrimplets (these carbon rilis were adult shrimps from my 12g long). I figured that maybe the low PH might have affected their breeding so i removed them and placed them back into my 12g long (salty shrimp reminerlizer and bacter ae) although i've had great success with carbon rilis and low PH. I then added in 10bkk and 10rkk, these were also adult size shrimps and some were already berried. The group of 20 bkk&rkk slowly dwindled until i had about 5 left. During this event, i would periodically check my parameters and they all check out. pH 6.4, TDS 180, GH 7, KH 0, temp 76. ammonia 0 no2 0 no3 0. and could not understand why none of them are surviving even though they all look healthy and actively grazing. Last month i moved some more shrimps that i purchase from Joe's aqua sale and BlueCrownAquatic sale with the hopes that they'll survive. so far i've lost another 10 bluebolt and 5rkk and a few pintos. There is no weird smell coming from my soil nor and weird smell in the water. FIlteration for the tank is Eheim 2217 and two dual sponge filter.

Are you still using SD products in that tank? Do you have another tank that you are using SD products in and not using controsoil?

yes i am still using SD products in my current ADA 60p, but im slowly migrating some of my pintos and tibees back into my 40b.  Unfortunately this is my only tank that i'm using the SD product with.  My 3 other tanks are running:

40b controsoil with SaltyShrimp+BacterAE (HMF filter + 1 dualsponge filter)

20long ADA aquasoil with Salty Shrimp+BacterAE (HMF Filter + 1 Sponge Filter)

12g Planted Long with ADA aquasoil Salty Shrimp+BacterAE (small redsea nano filter + co2 injection)

All the tanks above are healthy and breeding constantly.  Im at a point where i feel like i should do a restart and go back to using what worked best for me.  :(

I've had the same issue with my SD tank with no breeding and slow deaths.  It was set up last March using SD products and Controsoil.  My ADA 60p tank was cycled for 2months (just to be safe).  In the end of May, i added some carbon rili as test shrimps and monitored the shrimps for 2 weeks.  i notice no breeding and or new shrimplets (these carbon rilis were adult shrimps from my 12g long).  I figured that maybe the low PH might have affected their breeding so i removed them and placed them back into my 12g long (salty shrimp reminerlizer and bacter ae) although i've had great success with carbon rilis and low PH.  I then added in 10bkk and 10rkk, these were also adult size shrimps and some were already berried.  The group of 20 bkk&rkk slowly dwindled until i had about 5 left.  During this event, i would periodically check my parameters and they all check out. pH 6.4, TDS 180, GH 7, KH 0, temp 76. ammonia 0 no2 0 no3 0.  and could not understand why none of them are surviving even though they all look healthy and actively grazing.  Last month i moved some more shrimps that i purchase from Joe's aqua sale and BlueCrownAquatic sale with the hopes that they'll survive.  so far i've lost another 10 bluebolt and 5rkk and a few pintos.  There is no weird smell coming from my soil nor and weird smell in the water.  FIlteration for the tank is Eheim 2217 and two dual sponge filter. 

Hi,

Did you try to flush the water of the tank again after the first batch of mass death?