Lake Poso shrimp

Does anyone have any experience keeping poso shrimp?

I'd like to start a poso tank- all poso snails & shrimp. I'm kind of obsessed with the snails already.

I don't know if they are as difficult to take care of as cardinals, etc. 

very cool site!

I,have them. The Orange poso. Some people call them rabbit snails. They are fairly common these days. Other colors are harder to find. I keep them in my Cardinal tank, they like hard water and high ph. Mine had their first baby last,week. They are slow to produce only one every month or two. They are really neat to watch.

-Chris

If you want an orange baby let me know my LFS has tons of them. Be happy to mail you some.

-Chris

I hope to be able to import a bunch of the Sulawesi snails as well.  For some reason though snails have to go through the Dept of Agriculture instead of Wildlife Game & Fish....

This is dum-dum. He is a little slow in the mental department, even for a snail. How do these guys survive in the wild?

Regardless, he bred for the first time this week so I'm hoping to see a mini dum dum soon. 

post-131-0-66159700-1400887598_thumb.jpg

I hope to be able to import a bunch of the Sulawesi snails as well.  For some reason though snails have to go through the Dept of Agriculture instead of Wildlife Game & Fish....

Off topic a bit, but that is really interesting... Snails are part of the life cycle for some important agricultural parasites, so I wonder if that's why? Seems like it'd be more important to fish and wildlife if the snails got into waterways, though!

• 2 weeks later...

Off topic a bit, but that is really interesting... Snails are part of the life cycle for some important agricultural parasites, so I wonder if that's why? Seems like it'd be more important to fish and wildlife if the snails got into waterways, though!

That is why they don't want then in the waterways. They are more prone to carry parasites, they are also hard to really know they are a problem until they have reproduced to an alarming rate.

-Chris

• 1 month later...

We have had orange, and black posos...and they both like to eat our plants, even tough stuff like java fern. But, we were keeping them in with our shrimp at the time, which are not heavily fed tanks. It may be that if you actually feed them enough, they will lay off the flora...I gave up trying to keep them in planted and moved them to one of our non-planted tanks!

no idea what the reasoning is....its the government so who knows if they have one.