Crystal people?

Wygglz

So I like rocks. While I was overseas I got some beautiful quartz crystal pieces and designed a tank around them. (Now I never have to dust them) Now I'm doing a tank with black quartz pieces. I know that any of the quartz family (amethyst, citrine, celestite, rose quartz, ametrine) are all fine, and I'm using undyed agate slices as well. Does anyone have any input on other cool rocks or crystals that are tank safe. I've used Carnelian too with no problems.

Any suggestions are welcome as well as your unique design experiences.

I would do a little testing before, I am not a geologist or gemologist so I would have to do an experiment if I were in your shoes. Ultimately it comes down to if the rock is inert, and if not what water parameters is it going to effect, short term and long. Quick and easy way, take a piece put it in plain RODI water and test parameters before, after, and during. This will give you a generalization if the rock will affect parameters.

Thank you for the response DET. While I agree that testing parameters is a great idea, one must also take into account substances that common tests might not find. I know that Lapis and Malachite are not safe as they leech metals or something toxic but I don't know that traditional test would catch them. Fools gold is another that I understand is toxic. I was just hoping someone here had more experience than me (and a list of safe stuff).