buce what is the fascination with this plant and what makes it so good

monty703

I have seen a lot of people talking about this plant but as I have no idea what it is I would like

some insight into why its considered so nice and why its good for shrimp tanks etc.

What are the conditions for keeping it and making it grow and how many types are there

and are they readily available in the US/Canada?

look forward to hearing all about it as I might consider getting some soon.

I started using them is my shrimp tanks this year.

They are low maintenance and slow growing.

They come in many shapes and sizes.

I prefer the  smaller leafed ones.

They grow a little faster than anubias.

They are usually named after the location they are found.

I usually tie them to rocks or wood.

Sellers sell them in small 5-8 leave clumps.

If you can find them potted , you can get at least 7 to 8 small plants.

I started using them is my shrimp tanks this year.

They are low maintenance and slow growing.

They come in many shapes and sizes.

I prefer the  smaller leafed ones.

They grow a little faster than anubias.

They are usually named after the location they are found.

I usually tie them to rocks or wood.

Sellers sell them in small 5-8 leave clumps.

If you can find them potted , you can get at least 7 to 8 small plants.

+1 except in a low light setup I find anubias grows faster

I sell them and mostly to shrimp people.  It is great as it buck the stereo type of low light, low maintenance plants.  And if you like collecting well there is over 200 types to collect with all shape, sizes and colours.  

I currently sell around 70+ types both individually and in clumps.  The "experienced" buce customers almost exclusively buy them in clumps as they are better value and most of them time they are the centre piece in a shrimp tank. 

ideal parameters would be similar to bee shrimps parameters; soft, acidic water, with good oxygen levels.  

For high tech setup; lower light than usual but decetn CO2 and high nitrogen but i find them do just fine in low tech tanks as long as you give them some time.

Han really has a nice collection of them and a fair pricing. i do recomand to take a look on what he has. it will be the easiest way getting them.

The plants have really exquisite colors, and are more interesting than regular anubias. ones you have them at home you do realise whay they are so apreciated.

I was wondering myself about them. From pictures I see online I don't "feel" it. So, I'm going to place an order with Han soon and then decide if I like bucephalandras or not. I like the idea that it doesn't need bright light and likes acid water.

I was wondering myself about them. From pictures I see online I don't "feel" it. So, I'm going to place an order with Han soon and then decide if I like bucephalandras or not. I like the idea that it doesn't need bright light and likes acid water.

let me know if you need any help or questions :)

thanks

Some buce have a blue or purple color to them that is very appealing in a shrimp tank. Also they will reward you with a flower every now and then. I find mine actually do better in lower light conditions. I havent bought any for awhile but a year ago the price was still quite high compared to other plants. Hopefully that has changed since they seem to be very common now.

Buces are lovely. Due to over harvesting, most are extinct in the wild. But overall very nice plants. There's a lot of hype because it's the new "hotness" similar to the cryptocoryne crazed a while back. Until we find a new slow growing plant that's also suitable for shrimp tanks, buces seem to be the it plant.

This one is a rare one I have. It's naturally red. Can't recall the name, but I know it's quite rare.

post-210-144363877044_thumb.jpg

That's really sad :(

I prefer crypts, but I can see where an epiphyte would be more attractive to shrimp keepers than a plant with well-developed roots that also likes to throw runners all over the place. I really cannot see anything in the thicket that is my planted crypt tank.

• 3 months later...

Sorry for hitting an old thread but answered my questions.

Just placed an order with hans to try out a few of them. I only ordered one of a few different kinds to find something I like. Will likely need to order more depending on which one I liked.

I really like that you can get them to flower. I never liked them until I seem a few that flowered.

My biggest question is some people plant them, some do driftwood and some do rocks. What is the best way???

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Yup same question.....do you just tie them to lava rock/river rocks?  Would a regular aquarium bulb (hooded type that comes with most 10 gallon tanks, not fancy) be enough light for them?   I have a couple of these lights that I use on my shrimp tanks and plants seem to do just fine with these, so wondering if the buce would be ok with this light or do I need an LED fixture?

You pretty much treat them as if they were anubias. So you can tie them to rock, wood or you can place them in substrate, but make sure you do not bury the rhizome.

Monty, you should be fine. As with most plants with low lighting, it will take a while to see growth.

From experience and from what I have heard, Buce really need a well established tank to thrive.

You pretty much treat them as if they were anubias. So you can tie them to rock, wood or you can place them in substrate, but make sure you do not bury the rhizome.

Monty, you should be fine. As with most plants with low lighting, it will take a while to see growth.

From experience and from what I have heard, Buce really need a well established tank to thrive.

Thanks got mine today from Han!

the buces look good chris. which sp. did you end up buying?

75579cad0de09f3d8c4740936e29b0ad.jpg

Better shots of the buces, cloudy I added more substrate before I planted. These are all freshly planted, will get more adjusted and better scape layout when they grow in.

I have a few different kinds, have to look lol got them written down in the fish room. I really like them though, only got small ones to start wasn't sure what I would like got 6 or so different ones.

Yeah thats the thing about buces. It feels like there are a billion different ones, and when starting out you are just not quite sure which ones to begin with. I hope to start buce collecting again in the near future. Just need to move some things around in the tank.

Yeah thats the thing about buces. It feels like there are a billion different ones, and when starting out you are just not quite sure which ones to begin with. I hope to start buce collecting again in the near future. Just need to move some things around in the tank.

Hear that, this is my first 40b tank love the layout and will make a nice scape when filled in. Waiting to find a good deal on a quad t5 for this tank.

I have an LED box over it which does awesome but I can't mount it up high enough to light the whole tank. I may keep it and build a stand for it. Haven't decided.