buce what is the fascination with this plant and what makes it so good

monty703

Best way to grow it is to attach it to something hard, such as driftwood or rock Leave the rhizome above the soil as you would with anubias and try to leave the roots to touch the substrate.  I hear it grows best in this method and the roots going down into Aquasoil.  My buce's seem to prefer high flow and will have better chances against algae.  If grown emersed, the colors won't be as nice and you won't get as much iridescent spots on the leaves but it will grow and you won't get algae problems.  But grown submerged is how you get the colors to come out most.  Only problem is, like with other slow growers such as anubias and java ferns, buces are easily susceptible to algae.  Also, when first introducing these plants to your tank, you may get some melt.  Its not uncommon for me to lose 40-50% of the leaves from my buce's but they always seem to grow back as long as the rhizome is in tact and healthy.  Although based on my observation, the larger clumps that I put in seem to fare better than the individual rhizomes with 5-6 leaves.  Could just be a coincidence.  But overall, this is fast becoming my favorite plant because of its undemanding nature, unique varieties, and intense coloration.  It really reminds me of reef keeping, collecting different coral frags, and propagating.  

Here are a few pics. I glued some of the smaller leaf ones onto my bonsai driftwood tree but I'm still waiting for the rest of my Buce's come in before I can finish this tree off.                        

post-3456-0-95081900-1454112546_thumb.jp

post-3456-0-42511000-1454112569_thumb.jp

post-3456-0-44721100-1454112572_thumb.jp

post-3456-0-16725500-1454112575_thumb.jp

post-3456-0-24012700-1454112578_thumb.jp

Best way to grow it is to attach it to something hard, such as driftwood or rock Leave the rhizome above the soil as you would with anubias and try to leave the roots to touch the substrate. I hear it grows best in this method and the roots going down into Aquasoil. My buce's seem to prefer high flow and will have better chances against algae. If grown emersed, the colors won't be as nice and you won't get as much iridescent spots on the leaves but it will grow and you won't get algae problems. But grown submerged is how you get the colors to come out most. Only problem is, like with other slow growers such as anubias and java ferns, buces are easily susceptible to algae. Also, when first introducing these plants to your tank, you may get some melt. Its not uncommon for me to lose 40-50% of the leaves from my buce's but they always seem to grow back as long as the rhizome is in tact and healthy. Although based on my observation, the larger clumps that I put in seem to fare better than the individual rhizomes with 5-6 leaves. Could just be a coincidence. But overall, this is fast becoming my favorite plant because of its undemanding nature, unique varieties, and intense coloration. It really reminds me of reef keeping, collecting different coral frags, and propagating.

Here are a few pics. I glued some of the smaller leaf ones onto my bonsai driftwood tree but I'm still waiting for the rest of my Buce's come in before I can finish this tree off.

Thanks for the great info, I planted most of mine on a large piece of driftwood.

And I got these for a good deal from a friend.

24dff7dea0856d628d243eda05a69332.jpg

dc2c6ba66ba2e6fb4e4393323cd1d881.jpg

These will be fun to find a spot for!

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Any negatives to buce's with more light?

Algae! My high lighted tank with 24" BML 10k and Dutch XB series is pretty high light and if I ever left it on 100% intensity, my Buces and anubias will for certain get GSA and BBA.  The tank is 22" tall too, with plants at various heights and the light 5" above the water.  Even the moss that sits right on the substrate which is about 2" deep at the lowest part will get hair algae with the light being 25" away.  I had to turn down intensity to 50%, increase the flow and blast co2 so that it hits 30ppm by the time lights have been on for 5-6 hours.  Now the algae problem is pretty much taken care of (high flow seemed to help too).  Forgot to mention, I also do EI dosing.  If you use high lighting, you should be injecting co2 to 30ppm or just shy of gassing your fish as well as fertilizing so that the light can actually be used up by the Buce (or any plants).  Otherwise, with a lack of co2 and the proper nutrients (NPK), the plants won't be able to use the extra lighting and algae will be given an opportunity to grow 

Algae! My high lighted tank with 24" BML 10k and Dutch XB series is pretty high light and if I ever left it on 100% intensity, my Buces and anubias will for certain get GSA and BBA.  The tank is 22" tall too, with plants at various heights and the light 5" above the water.  Even the moss that sits right on the substrate which is about 2" deep at the lowest part will get hair algae with the light being 25" away.  I had to turn down intensity to 50%, increase the flow and blast co2 so that it hits 30ppm by the time lights have been on for 5-6 hours.  Now the algae problem is pretty much taken care of (high flow seemed to help too).  Forgot to mention, I also do EI dosing.  If you use high lighting, you should be injecting co2 to 30ppm or just shy of gassing your fish as well as fertilizing so that the light can actually be used up by the Buce (or any plants).  Otherwise, with a lack of co2 and the proper nutrients (NPK), the plants won't be able to use the extra lighting and algae will be given an opportunity to grow 

I have very little experience with plants. I didn't understand half of what you wrote.

I have very little experience with plants. I didn't understand half of what you wrote.

This made me laugh, honesty is key

High tech setup. Nice.

Takes a bit of studying on high tech tanks to get it. One of the reasons I am keeping mine a simple low light setup. Crypt grow like weeds in it, so I want something that is not the aquatic version of Johnny-jump-ups. So I am going to be setting up rock mountains with buce and Anubias on them. And some other mosses, just have Java moss and it is growing good. 

=^._.^=

Yes, when I decided I wanted to have one of those lovely planted tanks I read all I could find on the web, and joined the Planted Tank forum and read everything there, then decided that the high tech setup was way to much effort, though I do miss my lotus. There are plenty of lovely low light plants, could do an entire tank in nothing but crypt varieties and have a beautiful tank. Sometimes simple is the best.

=^._.^=

Yes, when I decided I wanted to have one of those lovely planted tanks I read all I could find on the web, and joined the Planted Tank forum and read everything there, then decided that the high tech setup was way to much effort, though I do miss my lotus. There are plenty of lovely low light plants, could do an entire tank in nothing but crypt varieties and have a beautiful tank. Sometimes simple is the best.

=^._.^=

I like low tech plants. I have one anubias  I purchased 7-8 years ago.