Spirogyra algae

Mikeyp85

I've tried fighting it, but I'm still dealing with it three tanks later. At the moment, I yank out hunks when I have the energy, and skip feeding twice a week so the guppies will eat it. I know I'll never get rid of it (not dedicated enough to the battle), but this keeps it under control.

Use a toothbrush to get some out. Take our the affected moss and sip in peroxide solution and then excel solution 3m eaxhm rinse in ro water. I've affrctively dono this any rid my tank of 90% of the algae. If no shrimp present dose algaefix accordingly

I've heard of Algaefix but also heard horror stories with any livestock especially unsafe for shrimp so I can't use it. Have 5 Amano shrimp and about 25

Blue velvets. I actually started doing the "one two punch". Hitting the tank with an h202 dose at 1.5 ml per gallon. Do a water change and dose excel at 5 ml per 10 gallon. Supposed to hit this algae hard. And I haven't lost a single shrimp.

Type****

Be careful with the one two punch. I used it and everything seemed fine for three weeks and all of a sudden I had a few crs and cherries drop dead for no appearant reason. All my parameters were normal and nothing had changed in there environment. It's better to take the affected plants or moss out and do a concentrated treatment.

But any type of seaweed moss. Like I listen above will die. Algae fix is safe to use with fish and if you take the stuff out of the tank and treat and then rinse off.

Ahh really that's a bummer. They recommended 2 ml per gallon of h202 and 5ml/gal of excel. I dosed 1 ml/g of h202 and 3 ml of excel in my 10 gallon. So I was mindful of the possibility of screwing stuff up. Only thing I can see that is messed up is I had a nitrite spike, which is wierd because I made sure to not let that peroxide touch my filter media.. Pretty sure I have a dead fish somewhere in there.

I believe I read about someone injecting hydrogen peroxide into problem spots in the substrate.

Honestly, if it is there, any treatment to the tank will hardly touch it. You might kill what is aboveground, but what is below will escape. And it will come back.

Recall also that your filter media are not the only place for bacteria. The treatment probably did a number on the beneficial bacteria on the surfaces inside the tank. Thus, mini-cycle.

The trouble with "finding the imbalance" is that this and a few other types of algae like the same conditions as plants. Much harder to favor the growth of one over the other.