Rili/Blue rili genetics

Hi all,

I have a tank full of Rilis right now that originate from a colony at a local pet store. He has been breeding them for years and some blue ones started to pop up as well as completely clear ones. Im not sure how color genetics work, I figure the clear ones are just shrimp who are essentially missing any of the red pigments and are just one big clear spot.. but how does the blue pop up? Is it recessive? A mutation? Im asking because I have one female who is a lighter blue and red, and then one who is just all blue and am wondering how they will cross back to the regular red/clear rilis? Do I have a chance of getting any more blues? 

thanks!

Staying very basic here, if you are trying to selectively breed and you breed your desired trait to another in the colony you will most likely want to breed those babies back to the desired parent or to each other to enhance the chances of seeing more of the teait you are looking for. There can be a lot to it but using that basic plan is a good way to start.

I only have one shrimp tank so really being able to selectively breed won't happen LOL, I was just wondering what the chances of getting more blue shrimp were as opposed to only the red. Since most of the shrimp in my colony are from the same stock and will be interbreeding there will be some sibling and parent breeding Im sure

The blue is hidden away in the genetics.  Out of the red rili came BBRR (Blue Bodied Red Rili) and blue rili. (All blue tissue)...well... BV too, but lets not confuse the issue.

People have created strains for both.  It is actually pretty common.

In my experience it is easier to add color in than try to take color out, so my guess is unless you cull, you will slowly have blue tissue take over your colony.