EzShrimpin

airriick

Journal to keep track of my new tank. I've had multiple shrimp tanks and never made a journal for them sadly.

It'll be my first so bare with me :)

Set up

Tank : 12G Long mr aqua

Substrate : Fluval Stratum/ADA amazonia

Lighting : Finnex 24/7

I'll post pictures of my tank later. 

I'll be starting with DSM HC for one month. So it'll be a while for shrimp pictures!

Just got some mk breed snacks from han. My shrimps love it! I bought a bloody mary from lfs... lasted one week in this tank. How sad.

3ad461817b90d65d44d2754a669ad66c.jpg

Small update.

Picked up some hc from lfs planted them in. Will be picking up some more from a different one tomorrow to fill up the rest of my tank.

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I love the Mr. Aqua 12g, such a cool tank. Does the shrimp in your second photo have a name (the white/black/greenish looking one)?. Not sure if it is just lighting, but it looks awesome!

Also sorry to hear about the BMs, I'm not sure if Neocaridinas are possible with acidic substrates. I haven't been able to keep any in my tanks with active substrate and my substrate usually dropped PH to around 6 or less.

I had Carbons in with ADA once though and they actually survived for a month or two. One of them even had babies, although only two survived. It was weird though because the Carbons I put in drastically changed in color, it was crazy.

What color did they change to, Duff?

Don't mean to hijack the journal in anyway, but I have a couple pictures of the ones I bought and one that changed color. All of them eventually changed their color, but I only have a picture of one of them sadly.

First bought:

rdXbQhy.jpg

dtlz3UR.jpg

Here is the one I have a picture of that changed. Before 

2x78EE5.jpg

After:

8rGoKOg.jpg

I personally feel like the acidity (6 or below) messed with their pigmentation or is possibly a stress thing? Might not be the case, but the only thing I can think of really. I am sure everyone can agree that the color change is quite drastic though.

Now that I look at them more closely the bottom "After" pic could actually be of the shrimp that I posted first, the full black one with the stripe on top. 

I love the Mr. Aqua 12g, such a cool tank. Does the shrimp in your second photo have a name (the white/black/greenish looking one)?. Not sure if it is just lighting, but it looks awesome!

Also sorry to hear about the BMs, I'm not sure if Neocaridinas are possible with acidic substrates. I haven't been able to keep any in my tanks with active substrate and my substrate usually dropped PH to around 6 or less.

I had Carbons in with ADA once though and they actually survived for a month or two. One of them even had babies, although only two survived. It was weird though because the Carbons I put in drastically changed in color, it was crazy.

I was thinking about getting 2 more 12g and setting up a rack. I should be more organized with my shrimps. People call the green one green hulk. The lighting is finnex 24/7 on max setting.

I was thinking about getting 2 more 12g and setting up a rack. I should be more organized with my shrimps. People call the green one green hulk. The lighting is finnex 24/7 on max setting.

That would be awesome! Another mr. Aqua that might be worth looking into would be the 22g. It's basically a trimless 20gL only 6 inches longer. Not as bookshelf looking as the 12, but cool.

-Duffy

That would be awesome! Another mr. Aqua that might be worth looking into would be the 22g. It's basically a trimless 20gL only 6 inches longer. Not as bookshelf looking as the 12, but cool.

-Duffy

Was looking at the bigger one but dont think i have room for them :(

Im trying to figure out what filters to use it i had 3. 3 cannisters would be a bit expensive lol.

Was looking at the bigger one but dont think i have room for them :(

Im trying to figure out what filters to use it i had 3. 3 cannisters would be a bit expensive lol.

Yeah I am limited on tanks too. Space wise and gf allowed wise haha

-Duffy

• 2 weeks later...

Hey airriick, the tank and shrimp look great.

Was wondering if you've kept zebra nerites in TB parameters before, and if they have done OK.  My understanding is that the low pH would have an effect on their shells, but I'm hoping you might have some info on how long they can survive and if you've seen any detrimental effects.

Was wondering if you've kept zebra nerites in TB parameters before, and if they have done OK. My understanding is that the low pH would have an effect on their shells, but I'm hoping you might have some info on how long they can survive and if you've seen any detrimental effects.

Ive kept horned and zebra nerites. I noticed the larger sized zebras lived a lot longer. The horned ones live about 6 months till i notice a empty shell in the tank. When i get home ill show you what some of the shells look like. The shrimps eat at them..

My ph is at 5.5

One of my favorites :) so blueee. Under t5 lighting, taken with phone.

5e78305bab07874798151f5b4089d03e.jpg

Was wondering if you've kept zebra nerites in TB parameters before, and if they have done OK. My understanding is that the low pH would have an effect on their shells, but I'm hoping you might have some info on how long they can survive and if you've seen any detrimental effects.

ef01a0e1d3a4d37ab721b8a977b6817d.jpg

This happens to the horned nerites. The zebras look perfectly fine.

• 2 weeks later...

Nice, and how's black ops 3? Might wait for Black Friday and buy the game on my PC instead of buying it for my xbox one.

Black ops 3 is fun, been playing mainly zombies with a group of friends though. You can prestige in zombies now lol.. black friday you can get a 15$ giftcard from target!

Small update.

Ive been losing 2-3 TB in my main tank.. so ive decided to pick some of my favorites and move them to my fluval.

Some blue jelly bkk/panda. Regular bkk/pandas. One rkk dragon and hino

9343d0db4c3aaa9230155824433434cc.jpg

Probably the darkest dragon i have!

37a801e2dc9c2b0a999324fd61479883.jpg

a09f3b6b586495272da7f77386bb4a7e.jpg

Waiting for aquatop to get in their 7gallon so I can divide everything up.