Duff's hopeful climb from the bottom

Duff0712

Back to tank info haha.

tested my 12g neo tank and the kh has dropped to 3 and ph has risen to about 7.5. I will continue to follow my ph/kh but if it doesn't stabilize I might just buy the SS Kh/GH+ instead of messing around with several different buffers.

I also noticed my TT female is no longer berried :/ I don't see any babies so I think she dropped them :( at least I know the tank is well enough for berries anyways. Hopefully it isn't the tank that caused the eggs to drop and it was just the stress of moving tanks recently. Bah!!!

-Duffy

So I have never been so glad to be wrong. I was scoping out my TB tank today and yay!!! That TT I thought lost its eggs still has them! I yay have thought it was another shrimp. Yay!

e7a73b6fe47c9263d5ddd47d759d51db.jpg

I also am planning on selectively breeding Carbon rilis in my 12g neo tank. After 5 days it's KH and ph have held well so I got some blue dreams to test drive the tank. I know they aren't carbons but I didn't have any available and I really wanted to get some shrimp in the tank. If they do well I might put them in my bigger "cull" tank once I find a good supplier for carbons :)

So far so good. I can't say as such for my saltwater tank, but my freshwater shrimp tanks are looking up :)

Another experiment I am trying is hair algae disposal with Rooibos Tea. I just bought some organic bags online and I have been reading that it does well with hair algae. I am positive my lights are the problem but unfortunately with my situation I can't reduce the times. So I figured I would give it a shot! I will test it on my rainbow "cull" tank first to see what happens. I figure if anything it should be good tannins and great antioxidant antibacterial support. I will report back here with my findings!

-Duffy

Been about a week since my last post. Couldn't find my berried TT for the past few days but I am pretty sure I saw a saddled TT. Could be same one that either dropped or gave birth and is saddled again. I may be mistaken but I'm pretty sure it's saddled. I will keep looking for the berried one but I have a bad choice in gravel color and can't see the TTs too well an I def wouldn't see newborn TT babies haha. I did notice one adult the other day tho that had a smushed "nose". Looks like it slammed into the glass.

Another thing to note is I am seeing a couple moldings a week and they look like very healthy molts which is awesome :)

My hair algae experiment is... going... I have been adding small amounts of the Rooibos Tea everyday to my 12g neo tank and I am just now starting to get that tannin off color. Haven't noticed a huge difference in hair algae growth/color, but I feel it is easier to pull out. In my 22g TB tank I have been dosing Seachem excel to see if that makes any difference. I already had some and figured the plants in the tank would enjoy it regardless. No big change in hair algae there. Will continue on for another week or so and follow it.

Other than that my tanks have been doing well! I haven't had any deaths in my 22 for a few weeks and I'm still finding snowballs which is weird. I put in about 10 blue dreams in my 12gl to see how they'd fair. Had a couple deaths but that was prob from my ph situation which I think is stabler now. I got some SS GH/KH+ that I think will help a lot. I noticed testing it right in the bucket tho that the PH read super high (API said 7.6+). I might try letting it mix/ sit over night and see if there's a big difference in pH.

Will keep updating as things move along :)

-Duffy

Smushed nose is a result of molting issue. When shrimp struggle to molt they can get stuck and their new shell hardens into funky shapes if they half molt.

Well shit, I thought molting was going good. If it's only on one shrimp or permanently seen on one shrimp but not others could it just be that specific shrimp? Where would the issues come from?

Edit: also, just clarifying on the smushed face shrimp. It looks like something grabbed its nose half way down towards its face and bent it upwards. It's in a L shape I guess you could say. Not sure if that makes a difference in terms of molting but wants to make sure I clarified on it

-Duffy

Noticed a dead shrimp today in my 22g TB tank :/

Looked like it was a Tiger (most likely TT). That was disheartening. Not sure why it died or how long it had been there (it was pink and falling apart).

BABYYYYYYY!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!

Was looking through my shrimp tanks as I do everyday after work and I was going to flip around my moss balls and noticed it.

2c9e0f24b0447f753bf5345a8fa78e14.jpg

Horrible camera pic but I don't care haha.

My first baby shrimp in like half a year!!! So excited. Now a long as it lives to adulthood and there are a ton more I'll be ecstatic!

-Duffy

So the tiger I found dead was not the messed up nose one. Found him and took a picture.

03317d07ec9b01011af0eaf021f3b649.jpg

a2ac62bb9999f4d9e67d4300d2843dad.jpg

Almost looks like the nose is rotting away now? Weird. No other shrimp I have has it that I know of.

I think I found another baby (could be the same) so that is awesome :)

b4ab9dbe9cd095475b598e2d03826a32.jpg

If things go well for the next few weeks I think I'll add some more shrimp to my TB tank. The wine reds and rkk look awesome and I may need more black pandas or better grade BB.

My 12g neo tank isn't doing too well. I think I'm still battling a ph issue or I just don't enough shrimp in the tank to really see how many I have. My gravel is bright but my bog log hides the blue dreams well.

I still haven't noticed much difference of hair algae in my 12g with only using the Rooibos Tea so I have started to use excel in there as well. Both my tanks are lightly planted so the plants will appreciate it. My 22g still has algae closest to the light but the excel has definitely helped throughout the tank.

-Duffy

Yeah. When Rooibos tea came out lots of people thought it was the next best thing. It doesn't seem to work for many people though.

But I understand it is really good for our adrenal glands :)

I figure it hasn't done any harm dosing it so I'll continue to do so in small amounts like I have been (since I have 100 bags of it haha). Although its effect on hair algae is about the same as if I played Africa, by Toto everyday. I figure the tea would give some benefit in other ways. Even shrimp need a teatime right? Now where did I put the small china...

I am not a tea person sadly, but I may give it to co-workers as they all knew about Rooibos when I talked to them about it. I didn't know it was such a popular tea! If anything I might use it as a base to my smoothies when my lemonade runs out.

On another note any thoughts about the rotting nose shrimp? My only response so far is a molting issue. Mainly looking for confirmation :)

-Duffy

If anything, roobios should be about the same as adding other leaves. I.E. tannins, so it could be handy to hang on to.

That's what I'm thinking. I've been adding a teaspoon-tablespoon every other day and will still continue to unless something major happens.

It's possible I would need to dump it into my tank to see any difference with hair algae but I don't feel like testing that at the moment.

-Duffy

Woke up this morning and found a dead BB juvie. Blah. Figure I'll probably do a water change once I get home.

Still seeing the occasional babies every now and then. Really regret putting TTs on brown gravel haha.

In a different tank (cull/community) my moss decided to go crazy recently.

3f3d350f8b8bb4f049383abc1895e59a.jpg

I've never seen the the pods and "little roots" from Java moss before. Kinda cool.

Hopefully the BB death was just a random thing and it doesn't happen again.

-Duffy