Powder on Kordon Breather Bags?

Great question, but it certainly deterred me from purchasing Kordon's newer bag design.

I was just getting ready to order some. DET, what do you use if not Kordon?

Exactly what James posted, they have done great so far with me. I still wish the old Kordon designed bags were available. I heard, probably a rumor, but that Kordon was bringing the 5x8 bags back?

How do these bags seal if you don't mind my asking, never looked into it before and I may need to start :)

Sent from my SM-G900F using Tapatalk

Usually people just tie a knot. I tie a knot and use a rubber band for extra peace of mind.

I use the 7 x 13 Kordons now.  The bottom is elastic strapped, which reduces corners which is nice.  I miss the latex feel/stretch the smaller ones had though.  These feel so much like poly to me, which I'm just not crazy about- but they all do now.

I seal by tying one knot, then further up tying another.  I could probably do rubber bands, but I'm lazy and that's extra work and another thing to buy.

Exactly what James posted, they have done great so far with me. I still wish the old Kordon designed bags were available. I heard, probably a rumor, but that Kordon was bringing the 5x8 bags back?

Yeah, MVP told me that were considering bringing it back, but they have yet to decide if it will be a finalized product.

I use the 7 x 13 Kordons now. The bottom is elastic strapped, which reduces corners which is nice. I miss the latex feel/stretch the smaller ones had though. These feel so much like poly to me, which I'm just not crazy about- but they all do now.

I seal by tying one knot, then further up tying another. I could probably do rubber bands, but I'm lazy and that's extra work and another thing to buy.

Soothing, I miss the latex feel, too. I've received shrimp from breeders who still have those older bags, and they feel a lot better than the newer poly ones.

This may be a possible explanation:

"That powder is usually a form of food-grade diatomaceous earth. It's a desiccant to keep the bags from sticking to each other and prevents mold and mildew growth in the bag pores which allow gas exchange. Perfectly harmless for aquatic fauna and flora ☺

Diana Lee
the Redhead
http://floridaorchidendlers.com"

I find diatomaceous earth to be one of the more interesting substances on the planet.  So many uses, from such an odd source.  

I can't find anywhere that someone has stated an estimate of how much there is on the planet, but it's only "mined" in few locations, and you would think it isn't infinite in supply.

• 4 weeks later...

Would this source be able to answer why this "cornstarch" has been applied, and if it would have any negative effects on our shrimp?

I have used the new bags to ship tigers and several sulawesi species so far and haven't noticed any difference.  The powder is annoying and I dislike having the larger bags but they still work.