Greenteam's 20L Restart

Greenteam

Had a few people PM regarding my pinto journals so I figured I start this one since it's new tank with full restart. 

Tank: 20G Long

Filter: Eheim 2215 & Sponge Filter

Substrate: ContraSoil

Light: Finnex Planted+

Flora: Small pieces of mini pellia & my unique "Echinodorus sp Iguazu from Argentina 2009"

Gathering all the equipment so I will post a picture tonight since I should be getting some things in the mail today.

Looking forward to your journal my friend! I used to paint the back of my aquariums with an acrylic based paint, is that what you used?

I didn't realize the Turkish Hazel is that big......that's awesome. Is it from Han?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes sir this one came from Han.

It looks great in person and really adds a unique natural shelter for baby shrimp. The sizes may vary from what Han told me, but he can pitch in how this one compares to his stock.

So I left the tank running last night after adding the heater & dosing BioDigest to help settle the tank. I can honestly say taking a running Eheim with it's attached prefilter from one tank to another was a major pain.

My main concern was the hoses not been the correct length & I was correct they weren't lol. Lucky for me I had extra tubing I purchased from Lowes so I cut all the existing green tubing and replaced with clear new one. A huge helping factor in this whole process was those cool cutoff valves the Eheim filters come with!

post-168-0-69647700-1444580958_thumb.jpg

Last but not least I transferred all but 2 of my remaining Pintos into the new tank. 

I was surprised with all the deaths in the original tank from the accident that all 3 females are plump with eggs! 

The overall  design is simple with minimal plants. In the center as the focal point I have my rare Echinodorus sp Iguazu from Argentina 2009, and a tiny piece of mini pellia growing on mineral stone.

Also my sponge filter has this old over grown look from the mini pellia taking over it which the shrimp love.

post-168-0-66385500-1444581395_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-08415600-1444581420_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-01747800-1444581448_thumb.jpg

post-168-0-05120500-1444581478_thumb.jpg

I love mini pellia. How did you get it to grow over your sponge filter? And do you worry about it affecting flow?

What is the sponge in the dish for?

I have so much mini pellia that it grows on everything in my tanks. If you want to grow it on a sponge a trick I found is to take a small piece an wedge it into the cuts of the sponge filters it will spread on its own.

As for the sponge on the feeding tray it was covered in bio film from another tank so it made a quick feeding area for them in this 2 day old tank.

Awesome Greenteam! Have you already tested parameters, how are they looking since you are using a pre seeded sponge?

You must of purchased the last bag of Controsoil as they seem to have went MIA over night.

You didn't cycled the tank?

Sent from my MotoE2 using Tapatalk

Nope I didn't "technically" cycle the tank. I used a brand new tank with a brand new bag of ContraSoil (purchased last one on Amazon :D)

Then I took my Eheim filter with a Sponge Filter from a fully established tank an transferred them over. I did add my usual list of additives under the soil Old Sea Mud, MK Silver, Mosura BT-9, and just for kicks an giggles I also added Shrimp Daddy  Revive Minerals & Revive Vivace. 

Last thing I added to the water was BioDigest. 4 hours later tossed in the shrimp and crossed my fingers.

Awesome Greenteam! Have you already tested parameters, how are they looking since you are using a pre seeded sponge?

You must of purchased the last bag of Controsoil as they seem to have went MIA over night.

I would be lying if I said I tested anything. All I tested was my TDS was 145 Temp was 75 and 0 Chlorine. 

I didn't even drip the shrimp I just scooped and toss them in since I was a little fed up with old tank. So far they been very active and had 2 molts with 0 issues.

Also the berried females are still holding eggs with no signs of stress.

Nope I didn't "technically" cycle the tank. I used a brand new tank with a brand new bag of ContraSoil (purchased last one on Amazon :D)

Then I took my Eheim filter with a Sponge Filter from a fully established tank an transferred them over. I did add my usual list of additives under the soil Old Sea Mud, MK Silver, Mosura BT-9, and just for kicks an giggles I also added Shrimp Daddy Revive Minerals & Revive Vivace.

Last thing I added to the water was BioDigest. 4 hours later tossed in the shrimp and crossed my fingers.

A HUGE risk though.

What about the filtration system of the previous tank?

Did you add a new one to it?

A HUGE risk though.

What about the filtration system of the previous tank?

Did you add a new one to it?

No the old tank is currently been torn down. I was not worried because the old tank was a hot mess, so this new one could not do anymore damage then already had been done.

Checked again this morning and all shrimp are very active an healthy.

So things are still doing great in the new tank. 

I'm really happy with the simply design, but it's soooo hard to keep myself from tossing in random plants.

I'm also loving the painted back grown no more ugly tubes/wires.

Let me know what you guys think of my simple layout I try to follow the rule of odd numbers in my design. 

post-168-0-47461400-1445015526_thumb.jpg

Looking good my friend. Simple seems to be better with shrimp. How are your shrimp doing, have you checked any parameters?

Looking good my friend. Simple seems to be better with shrimp. How are your shrimp doing, have you checked any parameters?

I was actually inspired to go with the simple design based off your new tanks with the teddy Cholla. I will say that the clean design has a pleasing aspect to it, not to mention when the shrimp start to breed I will have a much easier time tracking the young.

I plan on doing my 1st real parameter check tonight & will post the results.