Leavin' On A Jet Plane

Shrimpie

So I have to travel for a week.  I am worried about how to care for shrimp tank with lighting.  I can put a leaf in for them to forage on while I am gone.  But I usually have the tank light (USA Current LED) on for about 8 hours during the afternoon/evening. 

Would it be okay to leave the light off while I am gone.  We get decent day lighting in the house - what do you guys do when you have to travel?

Thanks

+ 1 on the timer.

We were away for a week and I added 2 Mulberry leaves in each tank, with the IAL and oak leaves thats always in and they are were fine for the week

I even had 3 female CRS berried when we came back yesterday

So I found this timer for USA Current LED lights - looks really simple - just plugs into the existing Current line - Takes 15 minutes to slowly fade on and 15 minutes to slowly fade off. Got great reviews.

http://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FDV1AFA/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

So I found this timer for USA Current LED lights - looks really simple - just plugs into the existing Current line - Takes 15 minutes to slowly fade on and 15 minutes to slowly fade off. Got great reviews.

I use  two of them, they work but the 15min fading isnt what you think it is. It will dim very slowly and its hard to notice then all of a sudden its off. I wouldn't spend the extra money. If I had to do it over again I would go with a much cheaper timer.

I use  two of them, they work but the 15min fading isnt what you think it is. It will dim very slowly and its hard to notice then all of a sudden its off. I wouldn't spend the extra money. If I had to do it over again I would go with a much cheaper timer.

Can anyone confirm if these do or do not work with Finnex lighting?

There are answers saying yes and no on amazon.......

There are typically timers available at your local hardware store for much less than the ones marketed for hobbyists. I use a $10 analog timer from Home Depot and it's run a variety of lights, Finnex included, for years. If you are concerned about sudden changes in light, just set it to go on and off during daylight hours. Your creatures will adapt.

Buy a timer or purchase a light with a built-in timer. Definitely a must for consistency. As far as food goes for your shrimp, drop in a Mulberry leaf or Snowflake. Outside of that they will be perfectly fine. Just try to feed them the day before you leave to help fill their appetite.