CRS without Active Substrate?

Can it be done, of course. But it is the difference between a shrimp living and a shrimp thriving. The two primary keys to success I always tell people about keeping Caridina with the exception of Tiger species is that you need RODI water and a Active Substrate if you want to keep and breed them successfully.

Unless its impossible for your to acquire active substrate then do you and your shrimp a favor and go the safe route and purchase the active substrate. 

It will definitely be worth it!

http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

Doesn't give an option for ADA or Controsoil, but can give you an idea for your substrate of choice.

I used 2 bags of Controsoil in my 40B, but I know others use much less in their shrimp tanks.  

In this thread:  http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/4505-problems-with-controsoil/page-1#entry59252

James mentioned he only uses 3/4 - 1 inch of Controsoil, and it was discussed that using too deep of a buffering substrate can "over-buffer" your water too much, causing low pHs.

If your keeping OEBT it would be easier to get away with not using an active substrate as the Tiger species water parameters closely resemble Neocaridina species.

forsure, anything special you've got in your tank?

ok, i figured as long as the RO stays consistent right? how much substrate do i need for a 40B?

Just thin layer of active substrate is good enough.

as long as it keeps the pH in range.

I use 1" of Controsoil for all my bee shrimp tanks.

http://www.plantedtank.net/substratecalculator.html

Doesn't give an option for ADA or Controsoil, but can give you an idea for your substrate of choice.

I used 2 bags of Controsoil in my 40B, but I know others use much less in their shrimp tanks.  

In this thread:  http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/4505-problems-with-controsoil/page-1#entry59252

James mentioned he only uses 3/4 - 1 inch of Controsoil, and it was discussed that using too deep of a buffering substrate can "over-buffer" your water too much, causing low pHs.

thank you.

If your keeping OEBT it would be easier to get away with not using an active substrate as the Tiger species water parameters closely resemble Neocaridina species.

oh cool, yea I like the OEBT a lot but my friends think CRS are better and are trying to get me to go that route instead. No one local sells OEBT at all so thats a downside. 

No Bruno, I don't have anything special in the OEBT tank. All my Neo and Tiger tanks run off the same sump and have either black or pool sand substrate depending on their color only.

Thank you. I have a local fish store that sells black sand which i really like.

Just thin layer of active substrate is good enough.

as long as it keeps the pH in range.

I use 1" of Controsoil for all my bee shrimp tanks.

oh good, if I did go with  Black sand, I can put the active substrate above it? 

thank you.

oh cool, yea I like the OEBT a lot but my friends think CRS are better and are trying to get me to go that route instead. No one local sells OEBT at all so thats a downside. 

Thank you. I have a local fish store that sells black sand which i really like.

oh good, if I did go with  Black sand, I can put the active substrate above it? 

It should work, as long as Black sand is truly inert.