Dosing SS GH+?

I have a TB tank. I figure a GH of ~5 would be perfect. How much do I need to put into a 5g bucket of rodi water to get 5GH and what would TDS read as?

I ask because I have been reading around and I am getting a lot of different responses for questions I keep coming up with. I don't mind if that happens here, but I just want healthy shrimp haha. I have read my API GH kit is +2 off and if I was previously reading a GH of 6 then my GH would have been perfect at 4-5, but I've been dosing differently now until I get a GH of 3-4 which would be supposedly be 2. I don't want to underdose but I don't want to be overdosing either.

I've been told not to worry about TDS, but I've seen others reply that TDS at or under 100 can be bad for TBs?

As of now my tank is sitting at a TDS of 100 and my API test reads 5GH (which could be 2-3GH). I am hoping to figure out what the best TDS and KH to go for is. I'm pretty much freaking myself out that my TDS and GH is too low :(

Thanks in advance.

-Duffy

Use Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 GH and/or a conductance of about 200 +/- 50 uS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 3 g) to 20 litres of water is sufficient.
Measuring spoon enclosed.

About 2.5G for 5G water

Use Bee-Shrimp Mineral GH+ to re-mineralise RO water, rainwater, fully desalinated water etc. to reach a total hardness of about 6 GH and/or a conductance of about 200 +/- 50 uS (Microsiemens). For this purpose, an evenly full measuring spoon (about 3 g) to 20 litres of water is sufficient.

Measuring spoon enclosed.

About 2.5G for 5G water

So according to the label, when you use a full measuring spoon with 5g you should get a 6GH and between 150-250 TDS correct? When I have used a full measuring spoon I usally get 117 TDS and the GH is 6 (according to my API Test kit). I can double check today, but it wont be until later.

I don't have a scale to calculate the weight of SS, but I might have to since I am so anal about this.

Assuming this link is correct,

http://www.lenntech.com/calculators/conductivity/tds-engels.htm

to reach a total hardness of about 6 GH and/or a conductance of about 200 +/- 50 uS (Microsiemens)

6 GH is about 128 +/- 32 TDS or 96 - 160 TDS

Ah ok. Conductance uS is related, but not the same as TDS. Gotcha! So If I wanted a GH of 4 I would want to use 2g (since 3g gives you 6). According to the website, that would be a TDS of anywhere between 34-134 TDS (84 avg). I am like half awake so please let me know if my math doesn't check out haha.

Now if that is the case and the TDS would be around 80ish mixed in the bucket, isn't that technically low for TBs? I know there is a huge range that it can be after mixing, so as long as the GH is at 4-6 then does the TDS matter ultimately? I only say this because a lot of people have their TDS very specifically and others do not care.

If that is the case then I think I have been dosing a little bit under what I should be. My tank should be fine since it would ahve been a bit higher before. The only thing I am unsure of now is the inaccuracy of API GH kit. From what I understand if it is actually +2 off then my tank could suffer until I do a water change, but if it is being accurate then my tank is just fine. Also I just bought a scale on amazon so that will be here monday lol.

Also, thanks Poopians for helping me with this. I am trying to be precise with an unprecise matter. I just don't want to repeat my last disaster since I am not 100% sure what caused it.

It is hard to go by weight if you have an older jar that has been exposed to moisture too since it will swell some as it takes on that moisture.  I assume about 20 TDS per 1 GH and just go off TDS.  I am also making it in 50 gallon barrels so I am never sure exactly how many gallons I have.

It is hard to go by weight if you have an older jar that has been exposed to moisture too since it will swell some as it takes on that moisture. I assume about 20 TDS per 1 GH and just go off TDS. I am also making it in 50 gallon barrels so I am never sure exactly how many gallons I have.

My jar is probably about a year old and there are definite clumps haha

-Duffy