Shrimp Safe Planaria Destroyer?

Duff0712

I have a ton of small planaria in my shrimp tank. Just looking for something shrimp safe to get rid of them.

I don't have baby shrimp yet, but I don't want any risk of the planaria pestering/killing babies.

I don't feed often or that much and I haven't seen any large ones. They really like a particular spot on the glass though for some reason.

I've heard Fenbendazole works? How safe is it for shrimp? If it works I have access to "Safeguard" which is "for dogs", but I figure it would work as long as it is dosed correctly.

I followed the instructions given by James Aquatics in this thread (3rd post).  I had hydra in both my CRS and Orange Rili tanks.  The treatment worked great and I didn't lose any shrimp.  From what I have read, it should work for planaria too.

Sweet! Thanks for sharing your successful experience :) I will have to do that.

I remember at least one instance where the dose used was quite a bit less than the posted one, and it still managed to do away with the pests. Might be worth experimenting, particularly if you are not in a rush.

I might try half or even a quarter of the recommended dose and just dose daily and watch the planaria numbers

-Duffy

That sounds like a good idea especially if you have a lot of them.  If you kill too many of them at once you risk polluting the water as they decay.  Good luck.

Are you sure what you have is planaria?

http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/3724-worm-id-please/

Interesting, the link in there was a good read. The Scheibenwürmer "Rhabdocoela" actually looks very similar to what I have. I will still dose the fenbendazole just in case, but in very small amounts and see if it does anything. If not then I guess I have the Scheibenwürmer haha.

Thanks for the link.

I have used No-Planaria by Genchem in the past, works really well though it does kill your snails as well.

You could try to make a DIY planaria trap - and API tube plus some yummy bait inside, or simply a piece of food left on the substrate. I can't remember what they like to eat. The planaria will find this interesting, the Rhabdocoela will not. Then you will know if the treatment is needed. I think the Rhabdocoela tend to frequent the glass a lot more than planaria do.