Divided 55G Neo/Tiger Tank

wot_fan

Those moss balls are terribly cute!! And the shrimp are gorgeous.

I also tuck heaters in a corner behind an HMF, and my experience has been that they are quite capable of doing their job from there once they bring the tank up to temp. That initial temperature rise did take three days, but now it holds steady.

sorry if you've answered this question but what kind of camera and lens are you using??

I have a Canon 5D Mark II with a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro IS USM lens.  I also used two Canon speedlites to take the last batch of pictures I posted.

When I saw your pictures I was going to buy Canon  EF 100mm before I saw the price, that's quite big investment, my shrimps not good enough for this yet, I think i'm going to be ok for now with cheap add-on micro lenses set :)

Unfortunately camera equipment can be very expensive.  My advice to you would be to get a macro lens that you can afford and then work on your technique.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results you can get even with inexpensive hardware.  

BTW, an off the camera flash will make a world of difference in the amount of detail you can capture. Below are unscaled crops of pictures I posted earlier (post #35 and #44).  As you can see there is a lot more noise and a lot less detail in the picture taken without a flash.  

Good luck :).

No_flash.jpg

Black_dots.jpg

Fantastic pictures, Wade! The flash really makes the OEBTs show off their color.

Thank you Andy :).  

I am really looking forward to taking some pics of the red tigers you sent me.  I know you said their coloration will improve as they grow, but I think they already look pretty cool.  Their new home is the right section of this tank with some golden shrimp that arrived yesterday from Blue Crown Aquatic Trade. 

Unfortunately camera equipment can be very expensive.  My advice to you would be to get a macro lens that you can afford and then work on your technique.  I think you will be pleasantly surprised at the results you can get even with inexpensive hardware.  

BTW, an off the camera flash will make a world of difference in the amount of detail you can capture. Below are unscaled crops of pictures I posted earlier (post #35 and #44).  As you can see there is a lot more noise and a lot less detail in the picture taken without a flash.  

Good luck :).

No_flash.jpg

Black_dots.jpg

Hi WOT, thanks for your advice.

Yes that's big difference in quality, I know you can use lower iso and higher F for less crop and wider focus when you have more light (flash for example), I had a basic knowledge in photography not much. I've got Canon 70D and I also bought 17-40mm lens (professional with red ring) and it cost me around the same as your 100mm one. I using this for my business to take some pictures of my wardrobes and upload them on my website, this is all my experience is to take the pictures of the cupboards and shelves not the shrimps. I tried few times to play with extension lens (like screwing magnificent glass on top of the lens)  and managed to take a decent pictures but still far away from your stunning ones. Never yet have used a flush from above - need to order one, I saw they not too expensive.

I heard some people had success with the add-on ring to turn the lens upside down, but it didn't work for me - it zooming too much and need a lot of light, also need to set up all parameters and even focus manually. Again need a flush to try it again. Once I have nice shrimps like pintos or steel, I will be looking into buying 100mm lens :)

Great looking pictures! I should have a new camera very soon! Crazy that I will be spending almost as much on the macro lens.

Great looking pictures! I should have a new camera very soon! Crazy that I will be spending almost as much on the macro lens.

Thank you :).

Congrats on the new camera.  You won't be sorry for spending $ on good glass.  What are you getting?  I am looking forward to seeing more pics of your beautiful shrimp.

Congrats on the new camera.  You won't be sorry for spending $ on good glass.  What are you getting?  I am looking forward to seeing more pics of your beautiful shrimp.

Canon Rebel SL1 and a Canon EF 50mm f/2.5 Macro Lens. Thank you!

I like that setup a lot. Any way of telling if the foam is open celled? Here I can't find them but I can buy foam from a foam factory close to my house. I just need to know how I will know if the foam will work? Would like to devide my tank up like that as well...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I like that setup a lot. Any way of telling if the foam is open celled? Here I can't find them but I can buy foam from a foam factory close to my house. I just need to know how I will know if the foam will work? Would like to devide my tank up like that as well...

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I believe that "open celled" means that water can flow through it.  If you can get a sample of the foam from the factory, you can test it to see if it will work.  If the foam from local factory is open celled, you want to get foam that has 30-45 PPI (pores per inch).  I also recommend rinsing it thoroughly before using it in your tank to make sure that there is nothing left in the foam from the manufacturing process.