River Garden Nursery new Display and Rack Setup

Rivergardennursery

https://m.facebook.com/EllenCrystalShrimp/videos/?refid=17

The third video. The first video is pretty mind blowing too. I would not recommend either video since I can't grasp what she's doing. Looks all wrong and I lack the cojones.

Wow maybe I am on the correct track. I think I am more confused than ever. I am definitely heading towards what is shown in the 3rd video. If they only added shrimp to get to the 4th video, then after some time, they get to the 2nd video, I would be very happy

The first video seems a little more than what I am ready to try :). I might look into that more but looks scary at first

He said 3 weeks 24 hour light. I would let the algae grow and keep the lights on. I have a feeling that's a trade secret for Taiwan breeders. You know, They do produce really nice shrimp. Get the algae growth crazy for the shrimps to do well in. Seems like you are headed towards looking like the Ellen tanks. Do it...

Then again if I did that all the moss I have would be ruined. I think once the algae grows over it means the tank is properly cycled. They probably clean off as much as they can before dumping shrimps into the tank. Also, noticed in the video they are more interested in the commercial food then the actual algae. So it's probably for fast cycling. The flow rate in Ellen tank is super high. Her shrimp probably get really good exercise.

I'll try the crazy algae technique 3 weeks 24 light cycle when I start up my shrimp rack. Waiting for the tank sale. I missed the one in November.

if you do that method you leave it as a bare tank (i.e no plants) until it is finish cycling, than add shrimps - once the shrimps eat all the algae you can add plants.  If you want to get rid of the algae fast add 50-100 amano shimps - they would mow in down it a matter of hours : ) 

Well... I might have messed this one up :( I added a few moss balls and a Java Matt, and now I have algae all over. I have been keeping the lights on 24/7, and no other additives. I did top off with RO/DI water today. I will try and dial the full light and see if the nasty stuff will go away. I am about 1 week and 2 days in. I did not bother testing as I will wait 4+ weeks regardless. I also have another 20 gallon long setup this weekend, doing the same setup up but with Controlsoil, and MK-Breed and not plants

I'm glad you started this. I have learned lot reading this thread.  Thank You! :thumbsu:

I'm glad you started this. I have learned lot reading this thread. Thank You! :thumbsu:

Glad it might help. I have removed all plants, and I am going to just, let grow, let it grow, let it grow the algae is growing anyway. Bad Disney reference :)

Leaving lights one, and seeing what it looks like. I hope to have some very happy shrimp :)

Going to start the control soil tank soon, with the same method, but no plants until after cycle

I did this experiment a while ago with this algae. It did't go so well. Here's the old thread.

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/88-shrimp-other-invertebrates/535513-tb-shrimp-all-dead.html

I don't recommend you let algae run rampant in your tank unless you remove it at the end of your cycle and perform a water change and control your lighting. You can have a nice healthy tank full of biofilm without algae.

I believe these are Whalen brand. From what I've read, only some stores carry this item. With the sku you can have them check other locations.

They have racks on the website, but they are different brand&price.

BTW, my store moves merch. locations on a regular basis; very annoying. You'd think they'd leave those big heavy racks in the same place, but no. If I can find them next time I go, I'll try to get a sku for you.

Instore they have a big rack #956873 / $65.99 and a bigger rack #333051 / $168.66

• 2 weeks later...

update on the tank. I only had time to check the TDS, and it was at 49. I added an Otto to the tank and will be ready for some very special shrimp next week.

I decided to keep the lights going, and removed the plants. Planty of biofilm :). Next week before the shrimp arrive I will confirm all the readings, setup the timmer for normal light cycles and do a 50% water change and, use the MK products to adjust as needed

post-2856-0-06157700-1451659020_thumb.jp

post-2856-0-47769400-1451659205_thumb.jp

post-2856-0-51941100-1451659229_thumb.jp

On another topic, looks like I will have to relocate in another 3 month :( the big rack and the new one I have been hunting for will have to wait a bit longer. I still have the first one down in VA, but it has been taken other with Goldfish.

I decided to start another 20 Gallon Long using the same method as MK Breed uses, but this time I am using my last bag of Control Soil, a bitter sweet.

I also added a Seneye Reef monitor, so we can all see the cycle

post-2856-0-54975800-1451659629_thumb.jp

post-2856-0-44379100-1451659703_thumb.jp

post-2856-0-16488700-1451659802_thumb.jp

I like the fact that Seneye tells you the amount of disolved O2 in the water.Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

I like the fact that Seneye tells you the amount of disolved O2 in the water.Looking forward to seeing how this turns out!

I thought it was interesting that the value had changed. I am also interested to watch this stat and see any changes. I was surprised the value was a lot lower than I had anticipated

I thought it was interesting that the value had changed. I am also interested to watch this stat and see any changes. I was surprised the value was a lot lower than I had anticipated

Are you using double sponge filters?

I don't know if you know this or not but the hole in the sponge filters is often blocked not allowing for maximum O2 outflow. Check out this video. At 2:50 is what I'm reffering to. It's always good to check this  so you get the most out of your sponges. The more O2 the better.

Are you using double sponge filters?

I don't know if you know this or not but the hole in the sponge filters is often blocked not allowing for maximum O2 outflow. Check out this video. At 2:50 is what I'm reffering to. It's always good to check this  so you get the most out of your sponges. The more O2 the better.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rc5aICDyorM

So cool, thanks. I did not know this. For all the goldfish I use the Hydro Sponge filters, but wanted to try these for the shrimp. I will check these later today, great infomation and video