A few questions on CRS

aquaprawn

Its been 25 days since I added a dozen CRS shrimps to my tank. Its a 50 gallon.

After about a week, I noticed some of them have lost its coloration and went from white to transparent. See pic, the CRS on the left is transparent.

My water parameters:-

PH 6.8

TDS 100

Temp: 77 - 78.8F

Ammonia/Nitrite: 0

Nitrate: below 20ppm

GH/KH - I don't have the exact numbers, but I know its low. I have soft water.

ADA soil - full hitech tank. Medium planted.

5+ months since setup.

What's the reason it turned transparent and what can I do about it? Not all are transparent, but about half of them are.

How long does it take before they start breeding?

I lost one a couple of weeks ago. It jumped out of my tank. I had many jumpers - cherry shrimp, 1 tiger shrimp, 1 CRS, 1 green neon, and even 1 SAE.

But I think its because of my Panda Garra as he's always chasing others in the tank. They must have got startled and jumped out.

I was so sad when I saw the dried up Tiger shrimp a few days ago that I tried to catch the Panda Garra to separate it, but its too fast for me. Darn!!!

post-269-0-79897400-1445604167_thumb.jpg

I lost one a couple of weeks ago. It jumped out of my tank. I had many jumpers - cherry shrimp, 1 tiger shrimp, 1 CRS, 1 green neon, and even 1 SAE.

But I think its because of my Panda Garra as he's always chasing others in the tank. They must have got startled and jumped out.

I was so sad when I saw the dried up Tiger shrimp a few days ago that I tried to catch the Panda Garra to separate it, but its too fast for me. Darn!!!

I can't comment on coloration of shrimp. But I have had success catching fast fish. I use a flashlight and a black net.

At night after the fish have settled down, shoot the light directly in the eyes of the fish you want to capture and sneak the black net from behind. The trick is to get the fish within about 1/2 inch from net opening before trying to capture. Any farther away than ~1/2 inch and the fish will win.

I would look to them being stressed in a tank with fish for the color loss.    The PH is at the top end of what they are comfortable with also  so if you are off at all in your test  they could be not liking the PH.   I would also invest in a GH/KH test kit.    If your TDS is only 100  your GH might be to low for them.

Thank you all. Nice tip with the flahslight. I'll try that some time.

Here are the parameters:-

GH: 4

KH: 2

Yes, I'm injecting CO2 at 3bps.

And yes, I'm dosing ferts. I'm using ADA ferts - the full range according to the recommended dose.

I checked with the LFS who is also a breeder. He said that its calcium deficiency and caused by having too low TDS. He recommended a TDS of at least 150, and better still at 180. I researched further by asking Mr. google, and there appears to have at least a few mentions supporting this notion.

However I don't want to use water conditioners and prefer to fix the issue by diet instead.

Are there specific foods for CRS?

I asked another LFS, but he's apparently unsure as he's recommending just about everything they sell (new staff there, I don't trust them).

Thank you all. Nice tip with the flahslight. I'll try that some time.

Here are the parameters:-

GH: 4

KH: 2

Yes, I'm injecting CO2 at 3bps.

And yes, I'm dosing ferts. I'm using ADA ferts - the full range according to the recommended dose.

I checked with the LFS who is also a breeder. He said that its calcium deficiency and caused by having too low TDS. He recommended a TDS of at least 150, and better still at 180. I researched further by asking Mr. google, and there appears to have at least a few mentions supporting this notion.

However I don't want to use water conditioners and prefer to fix the issue by diet instead.

Are there specific foods for CRS?

I asked another LFS, but he's apparently unsure as he's recommending just about everything they sell (new staff there, I don't trust them).

Maybe this is just me but your LFS saying "calcium deficiency" kinda sounds stupid imo.

I don't see how that would cause your shrimp and even a fish to "jump" out of the water.

Usually when shrimps lack a certain nutrient or mineral, they just die or lose color, not become a jumper.

Reasonable explanations are you are gassing them off or your fish is stressing them out big time.

When someone at a store says they are "unsure" and just recommend you random products, leave right away.

Hi,

No worries. Thanks for the honest feedback. But I gotta clear the air.

The "jumping" has nothing to do with any deficiency. The jumping is due to I suspect the Panda Garra chasing other fish.

"But I think its because of my Panda Garra as he's always chasing others in the tank. They must have got startled and jumped out."

And the LFS that is unsure is NOT the same shop as the shrimp breeder who mentioned about calcium deficiency.

Agreed that I'm doubtful about taking advice from the unsure staff in the LFS.