Community Tank

OMG Aquatics

as long as you dont over feed and have live plants with root feeders like cryps you dont have to vac all that often. i never vaced the substrate. other good plants would be swords. they use the fish waist and left over food as plant food. the only time you would really need to do a vac is if you see it start building up in the gravel. if you see it next to the glass or if moving gravel causes stuff to come up then you need to vac

Poopians,

If live plants are not for you, you can use a bare bottom tank . Just either paint the outside bottom of it or use black, etc poster paper (scotch taped) . You could put a few small clay pots with plants here and there.

Poopians,

If live plants are not for you, you can use a bare bottom tank . Just either paint the outside bottom of it or use black, etc poster paper (scotch taped) . You could put a few small clay pots with plants here and there.

That's a great idea. Would brown cardboard work?

I'm planning on getting 5 celestial pearl danio, 3 amano shrimp and 3 oto. Half bottom tank will have java moss and one driftwood in the middle.

Anything else I need so that I don't have to do much cleaning?

Brown cardboard will work just fine, I just happen to like black because it enhances the fish, shrimp colors but any cardboard, poster board , even black paint on the tank bottom will work.

Of course outside of the tank , lol.

Cardboard or poster paper you attach with scotch tape .

Than you do not use gravel and you place your driftwood with moss (if you want) and some clay pots if you like with plants scattered about the tank.

I mention either driftwood piece with java fern and or moss and or a few small pots with plants because I think the colors on danios become much more vibrant when they have something that gives them cover and the comfort that plants give them.

The celestials are very pretty . Think they are fairly new to the hobby , maybe 5 years .

I can not copy and paste but if you look up bare bottom discus tanks photo gallery , You will see how nice some are . Easy as can be as far as cleaning .

cool idea!