Unsuccessful with Shrimp

TheAvidShrimper

Tap water can vary greatly...one water plant even used two different lakes,changeing about every 6 months.Ask your plant if they add clorine or cloramines.They will give you a copy of their most resent testing.I never put any thing in my tank that i cant test for.Ppl where i was working,would ask whythey have so many deaths and their water looks so clear.i would tell them i could add a gallon of vodka to their water and stil have clear water,get my point.With a ro/di you know how good your sourse water is.Also the chemicles have a shelf life.same as the food you feed.You should shoot for your shrimp to thrive ...not just survive!!!

API brand foods are not really the greatest in my opinion. I admit to being a bit of a food snob (my pets eat better than I do, although to be frank, that isn't hard). But I would try a better quality brand.

I would advise not to start with shrimp by adding them to a tank containing any size fish. It sounds like you have a handle on a low tech planted tank with fish. Start one just for shrimp and you will reduce the number of variables to check when something goes wrong.

my only experience is with ghost shrimp. i use the tetra dechlor and tap and my friends are thriving. i fedd a combination of foods i grind to small pieces and dust that i feed my guppy fry. i dont remember exactly what i feed them (im out at a resturaunt atm) and i have only the typical 2-3 loss in the first week.

im gona say drip acclimate them. its what most every (semi)experienced keepers do. i even do it with fish. you will have some great results with the drip method. 1 to 1.5 hours at approx 1-2 drops per second. triple the water volume (most say double but i err in the side of caution with livestock) and scoop them out. dont pour the old water in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk