Nadia's Notes

Soothing Shrimp

She turned 7 in December of last year.  If gymnastics is on, sometimes she'll watch and sometimes not.  She'd rather be doing than watching. :)

oh I see .

I read that this years USA artistic gymnastic team is amazing so she might enjoy it .

China is always fierce competition .

Heck yeah!

I don't know how many remember the USA women's gymnastics team from the 2012 Olympics.

I just heard a few days ago that McKayla Maroney is retiring now, and very shocking to me is that Kyla Ross has now stated she's not going to compete internationally anymore (although she'll still do collegiate gymnastics at UCLA.) With Weiber out, that means 2 out of the five are going to try to make the team for this year.

Those two are Aly Raisman (which would give any floor competitor a run for their money), and my favorite- Gabby Douglas (who does terrific on all around!)

Keep in mind the last female gymnasts to make the U.S. Olympic team two times in a row were Dominique Dawes and Amy Chow in 1996 and 2000

If both Gabby and Simone Biles make the 2016 Olympic team, it would be a dream competition for sure!

Nadia had her final competition for the year yesterday.  This was the big one.  You have to have a certain score on all around to even go.  This was State, so all the girls were very very good. :)

The groups were separated by age bracket, so Nads didn't get a chance to be with her other team mates except one.  Here's her scores:

Vault 8.50

Bars 9.275

Beam 9.150

Floor 8.675

AA 35.60

She got 5th on bars, 4th on beam, and 7th in the all around! :D :D :D

Whew!  She loves competing, and she didn't do too bad this year.  She's pretty proud of herself.  I am, too!

We're moving her to another gymnastics facility after this contract is up at the end of May.  Should be a better fit for her, and hopefully we'll see the scores improve even better by competition season next year. 

Yay Nadia! :)

• 5 weeks later...

Looks like Nadia made it to Level 3! Yay!

I also thought we'd have to leave for another gym because of expenses, but the Head admin said she would cut some cost for classes if I would do some gymnastics equipment cleaning late night.  So, it looks like we're staying for now. :)

*shakes head* The things I do for my daughter...

Finally read the entire post about Nadia's adventure. Not ashamed to say my eyes welled up at times looking at her smile and dad's peacock strut.  Nothing better then life stories of friends and family enjoying the ups and downs of everyday happenings.  I'm proud of the things my children accomplished in their lives even now.  Same way for my kids at school and the joy they have in the Special Olympics.  

You guys are Great parents, sacrificing what you have to give your children the best lives you possibly can.  Hat's off to you and your supportive family.  Including your SS family.  New Nadia Fan

• 5 months later...

YAY!!!  Nadia loves people following her progress (and I admit I do too. LOL)

Nads made it to Level 3 this year.  She did not know what a massive change in routine it would be.  They work on conditioning much harder now and it is not unusual to have girls huffing and puffing and even the occasional tears with the intensive workouts that happen.  Gymnastics is one of those sports that requires the body to be incredibly fit and strong.  What they do I couldn't do.  That's for sure. heh  Luckily there's only been one day she had tears.  She's a tenacious about challenges.

Her gym changed the rules this year that the scores have to be 36 in the all around after competition season is over in order to move on to the next level.  That averages 9.0 and up for each event.  We'll see how closely they stick to that rule at the end.  She has a great attitude though and tells me, "If I have to continue in Level 3 until I perfect my skills, I'll do that."  My wallet may not be too happy though. LOL

Her first meet this year is at the end of October. 

She has done pretty well in bars during practice and adequate on beam for now. 

On floor, she still has troubles with back handsprings and splits- so she has to work on that. Splits are painful to stretch, so that's not her favorite stretch to do.

Vault is always tough for her.  She tends to chop her steps and needs to find her rhythm hitting the springboard.

Still time to work on skills before her first meet.  The scores will be good to see where she's at right now in development.

You can bet I'll keep this thread updated for anyone who may be interested. :-)

Thanks folks. :-)

Yeah, competition season at this level lasts from October through February.  Their training is all year round.  No time off like other sports.  Truth is, if they take time off they start tightening up and it takes longer to regain flexibility than to lose it.  It really is a way of life.

7 yrs old, 15.5 hours a week practicing and conditioning- and it only goes up (along with bills) from there.  Pretty crazy way of life, but as long as she loves what she's doing- then I'll help any way I can.

She really wants a bar at home to practice on.  She's getting too big now for the chin up bar in the doorway (that blocks us from entering or exiting there. heh)  I have no idea where we would put it, but she works so hard that if she wants it, I'll figure out how to pay for one later this year.  She still works on the beam that everyone helped buy last year!  :-)

10 hours ago, Wygglz said:

When does the season start this year? I might not know what a web series is, and we might not have tv, but we DO follow Nadia!

Thanks for asking Wyggles as I too was wondering about hearing how Nadia was coming along just this last weekend.  Thanks for the update Soothing and looking forward to the upcoming news on her competitions.  Good Luck Nadia!

• 1 month later...

Nadia had her Mock Meet yesterday eve.  Basically the first "meet" of the season to get back into the swing of competing again in front of real judges.  It's nice necause although there are no medals, she has a base of reference for herself this level.

Level 3 is harder than L2, but she's doing her best.

Her scores from this "meet" :

Vault 8.1

bars 8.35

beam 8.05

Floor 7.55

AA 32.05

So as said, now we know what we're starting at for her.

Next meet (real) is at the end of Oct.

• 3 weeks later...

Nadia's first meet of the season was yesterday.  She came in 1st on Bars, 4th on Beam, and 5th in AA. :)

Here are her score results:

Vault: 7.9

Bars: 8.95

Beam: 8.65

Floor: 7.15

AA: 32.65

Definitely much room for improvement on vault and floor.  However, she did the best she could on that given day, and that's all she can ever ask of herself. :)

One of the neat things about gymnastics is you get to see old friends and former teammates when competing.  Here is Nadia in the pink, with a former teammate in the black.

They may compete against each other and be part of different gyms now, but they are still friends.  They were both very happy to be able to catch up with each other after the meet!

Nads horizon meet w Chey.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Vault: 8.15

Bars: 8.275

Beam: 7.25

Floor: 7.45

AA: 32.125

Three way tie for her Fifth Place on bars this meet. So she came home with a medal for that. ☺

As always, judging is subjective and this time it was a much larger meet. More wobbles on beam this time, but she managed to hang on. She did allow pauses on floor so the music and her would connect more, which was good.