Please help identify my shrimp!

ShrimpSA

Good day,

I am from South Africa. Here it is a grey area to keep shrimps. You are not allowed to trade or sell shrimps but there is no law stating that you can't keep them. I managed to get myself some shrimps but because of the laws it is hard to find people that know shrimp as not many people here have them. I bought 10, 5 have saddles which as far I understand are definite females, 2 more look like females and 3 are males. I haven't bred them yet so I can ''cancel out'' some species as I do not know if they have a larvae stage or not.

I first heard that they are ghost shrimp, but they do not have those prominent humps on their backs like ghost shrips(well at least the pictures I can find online. I then though they might be Neocaridina heteropoda "wild" but I am still not 100% sure. I have only had them for a few days now. Attached are a few pics I took when I just got them and right after I put them in their tank. Also as can be seen the one in the glass container has a light yellow color but it its still transparent like the others.

If I could have your inputs it will be greatly appreciated. If any other pics are required I will gladly take some more.

Thanks!

post-3036-0-38465400-1445877444_thumb.jp

post-3036-0-14896700-1445877452_thumb.jp

post-3036-0-15256700-1445877461_thumb.jp

post-3036-0-08165800-1445877468_thumb.jp

post-3036-0-68770600-1445877476_thumb.jp

post-3036-0-05680000-1445877486_thumb.jp

post-3036-0-39803200-1445877495_thumb.jp

They are definitely not Ghost shrimp, but outside of that it is hard to know 100% sure what they are. If they are a Neo, they definitely are a "Wild" strain.

Surely neos, either close to a wild strain or possibly low quality yellows, breed them out and get some more clues. 

I have to ask, if your police force is non existent how do they control shrimp ?

Haha our poloce force isn't non existent. They are here buy busy with n other stuff. The people who try control exotic animals are our so called "NatCon". But they are trying to enforce other laws regarding to exotic snakes and tarantulas. So their focus isn't on the shrimps. So their hands are full because the exotic hobbyists are not happy at all.

An update. One shrimp died last night but two other shed.I hope that they will settle in now.

I will update as soon as they breed. At least I have quite a few that have saddles.

Hi ShrimpSA

They do look like lower grade yellow neos

Where in SA are you from and where did you buy them?

Permits have been issued to import shrimp to South Africa, but only to the Western Cape as far as I know

Look here

http://smartshrimp.co.za

Maurice, I am not aware of that. The petshops in Gauteng don't stock because they say its illegal. Also one petshop does have but they won't sell them because they say its illegal. But I will look at the site later. If its legal now I will be very happy. I will contact the people on the site and ask them what is going on. Our laws also sometimes differ from province to province.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

That's absolutely fine, neos can have green eggs, I haven't seen green eggs on my yellows but I see them on my cherries all the time. I've got similar shrimps colour in my community thank where I dump all culls they all sort of transparent colour with blue, yellow or red tint. Sometime they can still through good colour babies (normally red) so if you do selective birding you might end up with stronger colour shrimps.

The eggs typically take a while (several weeks) to hatch.......didn't you say she just got berried?

First time mothers can drop their eggs prematurely.

No they have been berried for some time. I got them berried.... three females dropped eggs already. Expecting another female will soon. Some of the other female's saddles are still small so they wont drop for some time.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

I think maybe we should clear up some terminology so everyone is on the same page:

When these types of shrimps are "saddled", they have eggs in their ovaries. After mating/fertilization, the eggs travel to the swimmerets (pleopods). This is where the female will carry the eggs while they develop for a few weeks (timing depends on species as well as various external factors such as temperature). The female will keep them clean and oxygenated by fanning her pleopods regularly. She does not "lay" the eggs. Once the eggs hatch, they will emerge as free swimming juveniles. There is no planktonic larval stage in this genus - the newly hatched babies look like mini versions of the adults.

When people talk about eggs being "dropped", they mean that the female has not managed to hold on to some or all of her eggs for whatever reason (youth/inexperience, disease, stress, poor water conditions, etc.) - she has dropped them, and they will not develop further.