Please help identify my shrimp!

ShrimpSA

I think maybe we should clear up some terminology so everyone is on the same page:

When these types of shrimps are "saddled", they have eggs in their ovaries. After mating/fertilization, the eggs travel to the swimmerets (pleopods). This is where the female will carry the eggs while they develop for a few weeks (timing depends on species as well as various external factors such as temperature). The female will keep them clean and oxygenated by fanning her pleopods regularly. She does not "lay" the eggs. Once the eggs hatch, they will emerge as free swimming juveniles. There is no planktonic larval stage in this genus - the newly hatched babies look like mini versions of the adults.

When people talk about eggs being "dropped", they mean that the female has not managed to hold on to some or all of her eggs for whatever reason (youth/inexperience, disease, stress, poor water conditions, etc.) - she has dropped them, and they will not develop further.

So what do I call it when the eggs move down? As she did not lay or drop them. ... I am still very new and not that familiar with the terminology. .. is there a name for it or is it just explained by saying the eggs moved down?

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

So what do I call it when the eggs move down? As she did not lay or drop them. ... I am still very new and not that familiar with the terminology. .. is there a name for it or is it just explained by saying the eggs moved down?

She is "berried" :)

Just the eggs are yellow... one male is a light yellow colour and one male a very light blue. How do you guys keep many different species of shrimp and do the selective breeding without having 10 tanks?

Haha you answered your own question. Just ask these guys how many tanks they have!

Hmmm I don't know why all the photos turn sideways when I post. Also I got all my plants this weekend as you guys can see in the photo... Unfortunately they came with some planaria.... saw some in my tank after I planted the plants.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe a cull of a snowball, but definely NOT a Ghost shrimp as they're much larger and have a distinct point(humped back) Enjoy what you have and see what their ressessive gene will put out, Its fun to wait it out!

• 2 months later...