PRL Crystal Red Shrimp

I haven't done an extensive search for them, but how much would it cost me per shrimp for some PRL Crystal Red Shrimp? If anyone has them on this forum, how much would you sell them for?

What would be the price difference between a PRL CRS and a non PRL SSS CRS?

Just curious as my next shrimp I want to undertake are a high quality CRS.

Thanks for your help everyone.

If it were PRL CRS I would be happy with any grade, I just don't know the price difference.

Yea they are expensive. I always see them as exclusive and will usually show you the exact shrimp your buying.

-Chris

+1 For that kind of money, pics of that exact shrimp are par for the course.

I would,be terrified to drop anything over 50 a shrimp lol. Most I've paid was $20. Don't know how they pay thousands. But guess a new breed or line is an investment. No different than any other hobby I guess.

-Chris

It all depends if you have have the moola to gamble with.  For most of us middle class people here in America, it is not even a reality to pay thousands.  However from what I understand, in Asia a single shrimp is looked at as a symbol of your class in life, and once brought home is treated very well.  Therefore one shrimp can be the price of a purebred dog.  That's also why all the specialty foods, etc.

• 2 months later...

I've paid $40 a shrimp before, but they were adults. Made sure I had plenty of pics and from a reputable person. I was very happy when I received them. Very nice stock for my PRL tank. I love adding to that tank. They just keep getting better and better.

Scott

What would be a good started PRL to begin with?

So many out there that it's hard to pick.

Xin/Feather, Ellen, Benibachi, Ebiten, Crimson, and then there's the people who have mixed a few blood lines and how do you value that?

I see prices range from $130-200 for a small starter group of 5-10 shrimp. Then there's the other question of say paying $50 per shrimp from a direct farmer for example say Benibachi to paying $50 to a guy who is selling the offspring of the shrimp he purchased from same farmer. 

Do values retain or is the value in the fact that you buy directly from the source?

I haven't done an extensive search for them, but how much would it cost me per shrimp for some PRL Crystal Red Shrimp? If anyone has them on this forum, how much would you sell them for?

What would be the price difference between a PRL CRS and a non PRL SSS CRS?

Just curious as my next shrimp I want to undertake are a high quality CRS.

Thanks for your help everyone.

I saw the price from $15 all the way up to $1500. I'm talking about the shrimp directly from the breeder's tank, no offspring of any PRL line.

normally $15-$25 would be the entry level, $50-$65 has better quality of coloration. then $200-$300 is top quality and $500+ is pretty rare and it's the high-end of CRS.

to my understanding, cheaper one is from the same tank, but culled due to quality. so it gets all the genes as top ones.

so if you do selective breeding, it's a chance to produce the better quality offspring, it just takes time and need some luck.

higher price ones, basically it had been chosen from the colony, so it has the quality already. and give you better chance to have high quality offspring.

for those couple hundred dollar piece, it may the ONE from thousands CRS. that's why the price tag is high.

it's pretty much like the show dog. the title owner shows the top quality of the breed. but no guarantee that the offspring would be the same.

+1  For that kind of money, pics of that exact shrimp are par for the course.

Not just photo, should come with certificate signed by breeder as well.

What would be a good started PRL to begin with?

So many out there that it's hard to pick.

Xin/Feather, Ellen, Benibachi, Ebiten, Crimson, and then there's the people who have mixed a few blood lines and how do you value that?

I see prices range from $130-200 for a small starter group of 5-10 shrimp. Then there's the other question of say paying $50 per shrimp from a direct farmer for example say Benibachi to paying $50 to a guy who is selling the offspring of the shrimp he purchased from same farmer. 

Do values retain or is the value in the fact that you buy directly from the source?

Usually you are gonna pay 20-30 bucks a shrimp for common PRL that most of us have and are using to create features we like. Such as leg color or white thickness. When you get into the really fancy imported PRL you can spend a lot per shrimp. 500 a shrimp is not unusual. I like the really white parts of feathers, the red parts of crimsons, and all red legs. So I have a bunch of different lines to try to get those features consistently in my PRL. Its genetics at work. You keep breeding the ones you like and culling the ones that don't have the features you want. As far as value, its up to you as the buyer. If you like a shrimp and can afford it then get it. You and the market create the value. Thats why most of the really nice shrimp end up overseas, they are willing to pay more than us.

Scott

Usually you are gonna pay 20-30 bucks a shrimp for common PRL that most of us have and are using to create features we like. Such as leg color or white thickness. When you get into the really fancy imported PRL you can spend a lot per shrimp. 500 a shrimp is not unusual. I like the really white parts of feathers, the red parts of crimsons, and all red legs. So I have a bunch of different lines to try to get those features consistently in my PRL. Its genetics at work. You keep breeding the ones you like and culling the ones that don't have the features you want. As far as value, its up to you as the buyer. If you like a shrimp and can afford it then get it. You and the market create the value. Thats why most of the really nice shrimp end up overseas, they are willing to pay more than us.

Scott

Thank you Scott, very helpful. I made the post in May before I really started researching. I now have a better understanding overall of the differences and what really makes the PRL outstanding in comparison to a CRS in general.

• 2 weeks later...

If I hypothetically wanted to buy a thousand dollar shrimp, where would be the place to start? Is there a web portal or auction site out there for super duper high end shrimp?

Ask Randy about MK-Breed.

It's the top quality, IMHO, it's much better than JPRL.