Wygglz

Have you used Celestite in a tank? I'm thinking about solubility, and that one has strontium and appears to have max solubility around 20C? I am guessing it is only slightly soluble, tho?  It's soooooooooo pretty. Will have to stop by my local gem/mineral store, I think :)

I haven't yet but my expert guy says that being one of the quartz family it is safe. I thought it was so beautiful.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, just thought I should do a TT update. The first batch of babies are starting to color up and it looks like we have one with red stripes like dad. Very excited about little "Red." The second batch of babies hatched a couple of days ago so it will be a month or so til we see what we have. Meanwhile, Polly finally berried but dropped almost all of her eggs. Penny did that with her first batch too though.

So I think I have the courage now to get a journal underway. Forgive my redundancy, but the history of this setup is always where things start in my head so here goes. I do things in baby steps and build on small successes. Gill however, jumps in with both feet and lives by the motto "go bold or go home." So when I wanted a 10 gallon shrimp tank, he did some research and decided that 220 gallons would be much more stable, therefore better, and started building. Now we have 8 20 longs for animals with a 20 long sump, another 20 long heater tank, and another 20 long planted refugium. And no, I'd never had shrimp before so it has all been one huge learning curve.

Well, we've so far had struggles with hydra, bacterial infections, pond snails (still workin on those), and traveling babies (they were getting through the sponge filters and turning up everywhere). At this point everything has looked good for about a month now except for some tiny planaria showing up.

Here we go... at the start.

attachicon.gif0615152012.jpg

Not only am I not good at taking photos, but I'm also not good at manipulating them (posting them and such).

SO COOL! Wish I had the space to do something like this :) 5 gal tanks are my max. lol

YAY!  Congrats!  You'll be surprised the variety of greens that pop out!

Thank you, I'm SO excited! As I was telling someone at work about them it dawned on me that at least a couple times a week something exciting happens in the tanks. A female saddles or berries, eggs hatch, babies grow, etc. What else gives us that kind of excitement? How many times have you looked in your tank and had your whole day go from "eh" to "GREAT?" How lucky are we to have found something where nature gives us gifts and miracles so often? I for one am so grateful for this hobby and this group!

Thank you Kaydoubleyou. I'm the most active on the forum between the two of us, but I have to admit, my part is feeding and selective breeding. He did the setup and monitors water quality. I get the fun/easy parts like picking pretty shrimp, picking pretty crystals and plants, etc. The Nessies and Royal Blue Tigers have Amethyst for their rock and the Tangerine Tigers have sliced agate. I don't think I could ever manage to keep shrimp if it was just me and I admire all the folks in this group who do it.

We're all equally jealous of you as your partner is into it as much as you are. Mine likes the shrimp bit isn't into it at all other than when I drag her down to check out the babies.

She is great though, never tells me not to get another tank. Likes that it keeps me happy and my son has taken a liking to them all now.

• 4 weeks later...

You are lucky, Chris. I enjoy this hobby, but really would never have gotten this into it if Gill hadn't gone a bit nuts. It is better for me to get into it than to lead separate lives and I really have gotten into it.

That's true, it's hard to be passionate about something when your own family doesn't support you fully. When I first started having alot of tanks in my fish room it was hard even showing people it.

You have so much energy and love for your tanks that it hurts when people judge you about it or act like there is something wrong with you. But I've learned those are the people that aren't really your friends and you need new ones. Some people are amazed though got a few friends into fish just from showing them my room.

That's true, it's hard to be passionate about something when your own family doesn't support you fully. When I first started having alot of tanks in my fish room it was hard even showing people it.

You have so much energy and love for your tanks that it hurts when people judge you about it or act like there is something wrong with you. But I've learned those are the people that aren't really your friends and you need new ones. Some people are amazed though got a few friends into fish just from showing them my room.

So true. And we let kids come see the tanks sometimes which really gives them a kick. I try to keep a tank in my office where people can watch too. Some people walk in and are absolutely fascinated.

Wow...LOVE that red TT   It makes the spots really stand out.  Hopefully you will continue to breed them and we can all have some too :thumbsu:

Thank you, Monty. So far so good. I've had two clutches hatch so far with red ones in each so I'm super excited.