Shrimp size

Has anyone else found:

If no wc shrimp stay smaller

Frequent wc shrimp get larger

???

Interesting! 

I think giving shrimp freshwater will stimulate them to molt frequently. This is similar condition to rainy season.

As long as we keep water parameters not fluctuate too much. Let's testing this theory together.

I recently rearranged my shrimp from seperate 10g to a divided 20g (making room for an extra group in one of the left over 10g). The shrimp in the new tank are growing and breeding like mad. I also rehomed a big chunk of my population of blue rilis in the 10g. Now that 3 populations are smaller, im seeing way more berried ladies and much larger shrimp

I could be wrong but pretty sure mine breed all year long and I attribute this to the weekly water changes .

I do not keep any shrimp outside but find those who keep cherry outside (Fish farm that sells them) The shrimp are noticeably larger than tank Cherry shrimp .

I could be wrong but pretty sure mine breed all year long and I attribute this to the weekly water changes .

I do not keep any shrimp outside but find those who keep cherry outside (Fish farm that sells them) The shrimp are noticeably larger than tank Cherry shrimp .

What is your tank size? percentage of weekly water change?

Soothing.

I guess over 300 gallons www.tropicalfishmiami.com  You see the cement vats on the site . They only sell cherry shrimp and not mail order for shrimp so the site isn't in competition with anyone here but their cherrys are huge and the water isn't cool either.

Hungle,

On my 20 gallon tanks I do 5% water change twice a week using de-chlorinated tap water . Temps are 76 during the day and 72 at night .  I could be wrong but  I suspect that the 76 during the day also plays a factor in the breeding.  

Louie,

Your water change is almost the same of what i am thinking . I can't say about temp, don't know what you have and what are you dosing into your tank.

My case:

I am planning on

4% water change twice a week on 10 gallon tanks. Small tank so i think it is better to do 2 small water changes than one large.

10% water change one a week on 20 and 30 gallon tanks.

I am using only RO /mineral and dalily small dose of fertilizer.

I think that is the max percentage of water change for now because i am thinking to encourage the shrimp to molt and grow that is cool but we have to consider that adult shrimps are taking a little longer to harden the shell. So where is the limit?

I start with the plan above and alter it if i have to. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Soothing Shrimp always make me thinking too much. LOL

Hungle,

My first tank decades ago was saltwater . We did not have all the equipment you have now. It was under gravel filter or box filters and water changes . Even the filters back than could not be used because they had metal parts . 

I kept cucumbers , constantly multiplying feather dusters and other inverts (not intense light needing coral like they keep now ) . I used to do a 5% water change twice a week because it would not throw off the salinity (I did try to get at 1.020  in new water )  , water I was using was not same temp as tank and if something was wrong a 5% water change wasn't that much.

Everything thrived so I stuck with that method with freshwater shrimp . My fish inside/outside I do larger water changes . I use the water for the plants .

I use tap water and have had no losses with shrimp and they breed well . My tanks are planted tanks which is a big buffer , I use Borneowild shield which I add to the new water (only 1/2 of that little spoon ) and prime dechlorinator .

Everyone has different methods . A friend has aquaponic shrimp tank with bamboo growing roots deep in the tank and it looks very pretty , they rarely change water only replenish water.

I'd try that method myself with some local cherry shrimp in a backyard patio tank because it does look nice but it just gets to hot here for shrimp unless a pond , plus my wife would kill me for intruding on her orchid area .

It would be an interesting experiment to do a tank with large water changes daily to see what happens to the size as opposed to a control tank with no water changes.

I have a theory that shrimp give off a chemical inhibiting growth.  If that chemical is not removed then the shrimp do not grow as large.  Perhaps this would be for self preservation so as many shrimp could be in an area as possible.

I have no proof of this, however, so not only take that with a grain of salt, but with a ton of sea water, too. LOL

Poor lonely shrimp.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

The cost of RO water and mineral for water change going to make....Poor lonely Soothing Shrimp! LOL

Come on Louie ! That is unrealistic. Do you agree with me poor lonely Soothing Shrimp! LOL

It would be an interesting experiment to do a tank with large water changes daily to see what happens to the size as opposed to a control tank with no water changes.

I have a theory that shrimp give off a chemical inhibiting growth. If that chemical is not removed then the shrimp do not grow as large. Perhaps this would be for self preservation so as many shrimp could be in an area as possible.

I have no proof of this, however, so not only take that with a grain of salt, but with a ton of sea water, too. LOL

The cost of RO water and mineral for water change going to make....Poor lonely Soothing Shrimp! LOL

Come on Louie ! That is unrealistic. Do you agree with me poor lonely Soothing Shrimp! LOL

Well, that just means he'll have to sell me some of his nessies : -D

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

Interesting, I hadn't noticed this myself

I was just kidding around but in a 125 with only 1 shrimp but I do not think you would ever need to do water changes in such a size tank with one shrimp .

In theory, it could be in a 10g. If the water was changed frequently it should still have the same effect. ;)

Has anyone else found:

If no wc shrimp stay smaller

Frequent wc shrimp get larger

???

nope. i dont tend to do water changes any way lol. since i got my tb in april i have only done like 2 water changes on them. i think more than water changes affects their growth. i had a colony of shrimp in a 1 gal hex that stayed tiny. im talking 1/2 was max. i had prob 100 of them in there. and i pulled about a dozen of them and put them in a breeder box with some baby angels as clean up. a few washed out into my 55. when i was pulling those out right before i moved i had some that were like 2.5 inches. i was told they were neo's. and bryce they were where the battle cat shrimp i sent you came from. some were clear but once moved to the 55 looked more like wild neo's and even had a stripe down them. and i didnt do water changes in the 55 either. i just check the tds every now and then and if it gets high i will change or for fish i check nitrates. i think on the 55 i was doing a 50%-75% change once ever 3-4 months

yeah your right. parameters were the same seeing how all my tanks measured the same but my crs tank. i used tap in all the tank. raven from tpt had the other thing happen in her tanks she i do believe got bigger shrimp in smaller tanks and smaller shrimp in her bigger tanks. i had these same shrimp in several tanks lol and all 3 acted different and were different colors lol. but its not only water changes that affect size. 

all my tanks with tap were as follows

temp 70-72 (central heat and air )

ph 7.2

gh5

kh2