too many males?

Citycode01

Hi guys,

Last night I was a witness of quite a brutal scene in my tank.

Everything was fine in the begging. One of the large female mischling moulted and all population of males start to flying around look for her. She managed to escape without any problems. In a couple of hour I was going to check on her how she doing and I found her quite weak and out of energy , she barely escaping the males and then three males managed to got her in the corner and were trying to do he, they were very aggressive and pinching  her quite hard, I decided to separated her and gone for 5 minutes to get my breading box from the cupboard and when I got back it was too late, she was almost dead. when I took her out I noticed she had few legs missing, she had one large part of the shell missing and all antennas missing. She died in a few hours.

I've got a video about 1 min before I gone to get a breeding box, but I feel so guilty I didn't make it on time so I probably wouldn't upload it here, it's quite brutal if be honest.

I think normally shrimps quite armoured and that wouldn't be a problem except if they just freshly moult.

My question is do I have to reduce the males number in the tank because I think they are too many of them and females had a hard time when they moult? I think I only need like 1:4 male female ratio? Is this correct?

His not saying he ordered a bunch of males it's his colony is mostly males.

This seems to be the norm in most colonies I personally remove most males and toss them into a single tank housing all the bachelors. Some of the breeders I spoke with will do the same because like you mention large groups of males can easily kill the females and honestly I rather see males go before I lose any females.

You only need a few good males to breed with the ladies and if you get low grab some from your bachelor tank.

His not saying he ordered a bunch of males it's his colony is mostly males.

This seems to be the norm in most colonies I personally remove most males and toss them into a single tank housing all the bachelors. Some of the breeders I spoke with will do the same because like you mention large groups of males can easily kill the females and honestly I rather see males go before I lose any females.

You only need a few good males to breed with the ladies and if you get low grab some from your bachelor tank.

Thanks Greenteam, good advice.

The only place the males can go is my community tank with fish, but at least I'm going to have some crystals in my living room.

I'm going to leave only TB males but I don't have many of them I think only about 5 adult males. Do you think they can handle around 100 females in 20G tank?

Thanks Greenteam, good advice.

The only place the males can go is my community tank with fish, but at least I'm going to have some crystals in my living room.

I'm going to leave only TB males but I don't have many of them I think only about 5 adult males. Do you think they can handle around 100 females in 20G tank?

If you have 100 breeding size females you should have 2,000+ shrimp in a few months lol. Also 5 males can handle it I seen 1 male breed with 6 females in 1 night. 

If you have 100 breeding size females you should have 2,000+ shrimp in a few months lol. Also 5 males can handle it I seen 1 male breed with 6 females in 1 night.

Great, It's good to know. Thank you for your help.

I start to culling this tank a couple month ago and placed around 150 of juvenile in the other tank already.

The main colony is breeding fast but I've noticed not all babies surviving to the adulthood especially TB babies. Sometime I found like 10 newborn TB babies to appear and after a month only 2-3 survive. Mischlings doing much better. Also noticed that juvenile shrimps I placing in the other tank growing quicker than in the main breeding tank, maybe they got more biofilm to eat because fewer shrimps in there.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh my goodness!! This happens all the time for me. So depressing, but i dont have any other tanks to place my males in

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

I moved 20 males to another tank last week and that make a big difference. Ladies don't have hard time when they moult. Still got berried almost every time.

I moved 20 males to another tank last week and that make a big difference. Ladies don't have hard time when they moult. Still got berried almost every time.

Nice! Need to start a new tank for the males then. Bastards, everytime i see them "dance" i have one dead female an hour later. I havent seen a berried shrimp in months. Finally explains why

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

• 3 weeks later...