Another one From Canada

kaydoubleyou

Hey everyone, I finally became a member after lurking for what seemed like an eternity. This forum is great, thanks for all your help lol. My name is Karen, Im from Lethbridge, Alberta, Canada. My husband and I started our first real (I say real because I only ever had a betta in a jar in the 90's when I was a kid) fish tank about 6 months ago. We started everything cautiously. fish-less cycle, water testing etc. etc. and now have an amazing little community of fishies that are thriving. What got me going on shrimp was the fat little berried Ghostie I brought home from the LFS, We don't have any of her offspring since she was in a community tank and I'm sure the other fish ate the "snack" but, that is what prompted me to cycle 3 more tanks and get more serious about shrimp. Now we have even more Ghost shrimp and RCS (not in the same tank) living their tiny lives in the sand and plants. What I would love to have are some Blues for the 6.6g hubby gifted me but I'm not sure what ones to get. I like the Blue Velvet's but am open to suggestions :) 

Here's to all the knowledge and experience you forum members posses.

And here's to your generosity in sharing it! 

Welcome Karen! We are practically neighbors. I think you are going to find a great variance of personal preference on shrimp types and colors, but that is really what it comes down to. I went with Blue Dreams for my blue neos and love them. They can be tough to find for sale sometimes (con) and may not breed as true as some others from what I understand (con) but I wanted something less available in case I get to the point of selling (pro) and I like the color variations and selective breeding options (pro). I'm sure you will love whatever ones you get. Good luck with your decision.

Welcome to TSS, the great thing about Shrimpin' is that everyone has their favorites and their ways of doing stuff. This is the place to learn all of that and create your own version of shrimpin'!

Like wygglz said above, unfortunately not all blues breed 100% true. For example the black diamonds I have were originally blue diamonds, but blue diamonds spit out black, red, clear and blue colored offspring.

Welcome to SS Karen, great to see another Albertan here!

Its been a bit challenging here in terms of finding interesting aquaria! That being said there is one guy here who has been a great help so I don't have to be too patient, just patient enough. Great to know there is an Albertan in the crowd :)

Sent from my LG-D852 using Tapatalk

Hey Karen,

Welcome!  It's pretty cool to see the variety of people that this hobby attracts!  Can't wait to see how your hobby grows just like it has for many people here, I know that I've learned a lot already!

Welcome Kaydoubleyou! We are glad to have you, I would say Blue Dreams as well. But as you will learn you need to be cautious of the source you purchase these shrimp from.

Welcome Kaydoubleyou! We are glad to have you, I would say Blue Dreams as well. But as you will learn you need to be cautious of the source you purchase these shrimp from.

This is one of my main concerns. Where I live there aren't many places to turn for shrimp and shipping prices across the border or even from Eastern Canada to here are quite high. Im sure you guys know all about that though with shipping live animals and such.

This is one of my main concerns. Where I live there aren't many places to turn for shrimp and shipping prices across the border or even from Eastern Canada to here are quite high. Im sure you guys know all about that though with shipping live animals and such.

Well i am in Calgary so not that far north of you : )  I know I have sold some shrimps to at least one customer from Lethbridge - he usually visits me every few months or so.  I can also ship to you - UPS ground gets there next day for around $10 for a small box.  I do tend to focus more on caridina species but let me know what you are looking for and I will try my best to source it from my network of breeders; either locally or from around the world : )