I need help with fenbendazole 22%(dewormer)

Vpier

I have a few hydra in my bee tank. Just bought some fenbendazole 22% and it comes in 1 gram packets. I saw this post http://www.shrimpspot.com/index.php?/topic/1351-hydra-problem-in-4-gallon-crs-tank/?hl=hydrabut Im not sure how to go about measuring it out or how much I need without a scale.  The tank is 22gal long and around 30 shrimp.

Will this cause a spike in ammonia and hurt my shrimp? I have a large sponge going and eheim 2211. Im guessing I need to remove the purigen.

As much as it pains me to help a Jayhawk :) ......

I never saw an ammonia spike and never saw shrimp harm from either of the two fenben treatments I've completed (1 with Neos and 1 with Cards).

Most recommend removing or turning off filters during treatment....you can easily just shut off your canister. I bought a cheap HOB to use when dosing fenben. Since the dose is 1/10 of 1 gram per 10 gallons, you could easily use 1/4 packet (dump it all out, cut it in half, then half again) for 22 gallons. I use a Lipton tea bag that I dump and rinse (and dry) before filling with my fenben dose, which I then place in the HOB. I ran mine for 24 hours in one instance and 48 (with a 2nd dose) in another depending on severity and response. After completion, I ran carbon in the HOB for 12-24 hours, then replaced filtration and did a water change.

Remove all wanted snails prior to treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as it pains me to help a Jayhawk :) ......

I never saw an ammonia spike and never saw shrimp harm from either of the two fenben treatments I've completed (1 with Neos and 1 with Cards).

Most recommend removing or turning off filters during treatment....you can easily just shut off your canister. I bought a cheap HOB to use when dosing fenben. Since the dose is 1/10 of 1 gram per 10 gallons, you could easily use 1/4 packet (dump it all out, cut it in half, then half again) for 22 gallons. I use a Lipton tea bag that I dump and rinse (and dry) before filling with my fenben dose, which I then place in the HOB. I ran mine for 24 hours in one instance and 48 (with a 2nd dose) in another depending on severity and response. After completion, I ran carbon in the HOB for 12-24 hours, then replaced filtration and did a water change.

Remove all wanted snails prior to treatment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your not a Mizzery fan are you? Or even worse a Tiger??????? :P

I have treated 4 of my tanks one for hydra and planaria other 3 planaria , please note I don't have any snails IE mts that could die and rot but never lost a single shrimp this is my method but we all have to decide on the chemical route.

Planaria and hydra treatment using Fenbendazole

This is my preferred method I combined info from web and other shrimp keepers but I wanted to adopt an easy reliable and stable treatment, I believe fenbendazole because it's an approved animal wormer used regularaly on very expensive stock will be manufactured tested and controlled to a high stable standard , giving confidence in its use.

Fenbendazole normally comes in 3 X sachets , there's many brands . 1 sachet contains 222mg

(1). I used a small pill crusher to make it finer for water suspension , you could do the same with a spoon maybe even before you open the sachet, this may not be required if it's one of the finer granules.

2). Fill 200 ml of RO water or tank water into jug and empty in 1 full sachet and stir lightly

(3). Pour jug into a small plastic bottle food grade or coffee jar make sure all chemical goes in

(4). Shake bottle like mad to make it into a suspension

(5). Pour bottle back into jug

(6). I used a 60 ml Syringe with a bit of 6 "" airline to suck up the dose and direct it into tank

(7). It looks like a white gas when added so I stirred with a plastic ruler for even distribution .

(8). Repeat dose 24 hours later same strength

(9). Carry out a 10% water change 24 hours later ( I don't believe this is vital)

(10) I did initially monitor water parameters before , during and after treatment , there was no change to tds, ph and ammonia.

Dosage used on the following tank water capacity

Note these capacities are after deduction for soil, wood rocks etc

60 litre = 32 ml

45 litre = 24 ml

30 litre = 16 ml

From these it's easy to work out most tanks

To save on cost long term I purchased mini scales £5 , and used 50% of fedbendazole in each sachet, and only mixed in 100 ml of ro water, dosage therefore stayed the same.

I think it's best if we can get it into a suspension and equally spread , on the hydra I squirted onto the plant leaves then stirred they all died by next morning , planaria mostly died but second dose seen them all gone , I never lost a single shrimp including babies and berried females, I don't believe it will kill snails but maybe for those that have lots of MTS that could rot that's a good thing , like most shrimp treatment there's always a worry but as fendbendazol is widely used as a wormer it most likely is manufactured to very strict levels so maybe very reliable . I can't speak for no planaria but it certainly won't be subjected to same trials .