Please help me with water parameter GH/KH

Good Morning everyone.

My tank is 90L and been fully cycled for about 2-3 months now, I have  afew shrimps (CRS and afew BB) for testing until i can get some more taiwan bees in there.

I am using RO water with Salty Shrimp GH+, also have benibachi Mineral for when top up (as i have been told to get it).

Upon yesterday i found one shrimp dead after 15% water change.  So i decide to do water test again

Ph: 6 Ammonia: 0, Nitrite: 0, Nitrate: 0, TDS: 153 (I test my Ro water tds: 0)

With API  GH and KH test is very funny!!. Where i learn from Youtube and other site, GH first drop supposed to turn Orange and count second drop onward to GREEN. KH first drop is blue and count second drop onward Yellow. 

But i found interesting post here, because of RO water (there is nothing in it) so first drop could be it.

So my GH test is:   first drop i have already seen very light green tin, as i progress to 3rd drop i can see nice green 

And my KH test is: first drop very light tin yellow. is that mean my GH is 1-2  and my KH is 0-1

Is my Gh is too low? I have some pic to show too if anyone want to see my test done?   Or should i get other test kit, someone suggest me to get Nutrafin which easy to see.

Any Help would be appreciated,

Thanks

Edit: I have plenty of moss, driftwood, and using ADA Malaya soil about 5-7cm height

The API hardness tests have reached their endpoint once you see green (GH) and yellow (for KH). Even a slight change to light green would indicate you are at your endpoint.

Based on your results posted above, it sounds like your GH is low, whereas you KH is good.

What is your SS GH+ regimen?

From API instructions PDF:

3. Holding the bottle vertically, add KH Test Solution,one drop at a time. Be sure to count the numberof drops being added.4. Cap the test tube and invert several times after each drop.5. The test is completed when the water in the test tube, after having been shaken, turns from blue to yellow. If you have difficulty discerning the color after the first drop of test solution is added, remove the cap from the test tube and, while holding it over a white background, look down through the tube.6. The KH value is determined by the number of drops of test solution that must be added to turn the water in the test tube bright yellow. See GH & KH Conversion Chart at end of instruction leaflet.

Directions for Testing GH

3. Holding the bottle vertically, add GH Test Solution,one drop at a time. Be sure to count the numberof drops being added.4. Cap the test tube and invert several times after each drop.5. The test is completed when the water in the test tube, after having been shaken, turns from orange to green. If you have difficulty discerning the color after the first drop of test solution is added, remove the cap from the test tube and, while holding it over a white background, look down through the tube.6. The GH value is determined by the number of drops of reagent that must be added to turn the water in the test tube green. See GH & KH Conversion Chart at end of instruction leaflet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I cycled my tank with rainwater. My rainwater is very stable too (10,000L). When i completed my cycled. I did 60% water change. And another 60% water change and add my scape and my moss and afew small plants. Water change is done with ro water with ss gh+ aiming at 140-150 tds reading. It didnt come to mind abt my gh or kh reading. Up until i see dead shrimp.

What is the way to raise the gh up to 4-5 without messing up other thing?

Thanks

I believe the conventional wisdom is that each degree of hardness equates to about 19-20 TDS......if you are starting with 0 TDS water this would mean you should see GH in the range of 7-8 (@ 140-150TDS).

SS GH+ should come out to 6 GH per one scoop in 5 gallons RO (and ~110-120 TDS).

My recommendation would be to triple check your GH with the above instructions so you can be sure of where you are before taking any action.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

API GH/KH Test Kit: Nowhere in the instructions does it tell you to count the drops after the first drop.

The first drop is drop number one, then drop number two, and so on. When you see the color just start to change, that is the final drop. if you look down through the test tube (with the cap off) you will see the correct color.

To be honest  i watch afew youtube that showing me first drop is base.

Mr Paul Talbot - he one of the most popular sydney aquarium owner also said the same dont count the first drop (base or agent drop)  @2:06

where she count second drop as ONE and then two so on

Cheers, 

To update. I have posted on fb too. And someone recommended me nutrafin gh/kh test kit which alot easier and accuracy. So i went and bought one. Turn out my gh: 1st drop turn pink straight away and till 3-4 drop it turns blue. And kh exact same first drop turns yellow = 0.

I also took my api re-test the gh again same. First drop very light green tin and i test my tap water (Melbourne. Australia). Same first drop light green tin exact same color.

Is that mean my api kit faulty? I couldn't find the expiry date stamped anywhere. Only see it's LOTS number. I bought it about 2 months ago.

To update. I have posted on fb too. And someone recommended me nutrafin gh/kh test kit which alot easier and accuracy. So i went and bought one. Turn out my gh: 1st drop turn pink straight away and till 3-4 drop it turns blue. And kh exact same first drop turns yellow = 0.

I also took my api re-test the gh again same. First drop very light green tin and i test my tap water (Melbourne. Australia). Same first drop light green tin exact same color.

Is that mean my api kit faulty? I couldn't find the expiry date stamped anywhere. Only see it's LOTS number. I bought it about 2 months ago.

Just curious as I'm reading through your post. Are you testing the GH/KH of your RODI water? Or your tank water?

-Duffy