Injected CO2 and pH

BigXor

My display tank has injected CO2. It runs 6.2pH during the day and goes up to 7.0pH at night after I turn it off.

Question is: if I want to have some PRL in the tank do I have to leave the CO2 turned on 24/7 ???

Then you may end up gassing your shrimp.

Plants don't use CO2 when lights are off.

I used to keep the CO2 on 24/7 and it never bothered the fish. I have Harlequin Rasbora and Cory's only. The setup I have allows for oxygenation all the time.

The pH doesn't change at night, I don't run the CO2 very high 30-35ppm

I have some neo's in another tank, but I don't think they would appreciate the low pH.

When I had high-tech aquascapes I had done both ways, 24/7 and turn on CO2 1-2 hours before lights come on and turn off 1-2 hours before lights shut off. All depends on your BPS.

What is most important I found is consistency. The closer you can keep your water parameters the same the better. So if that means one way or another, just be sure to reduce the amount of PH swings. I found PH monitors were a wise investment when attempting to keep parameters as stable as possible.

When I had high-tech aquascapes I had done both ways, 24/7 and turn on CO2 1-2 hours before lights come on and turn off 1-2 hours before lights shut off. All depends on your BPS.

What is most important I found is consistency. The closer you can keep your water parameters the same the better. So if that means one way or another, just be sure to reduce the amount of PH swings. I found PH monitors were a wise investment when attempting to keep parameters as stable as possible.

Unfortunately I have to use CO2 during the day because I have BBA hiding, ready to take over the tank. I tried running without CO2 and wound up replacing every single plant and all driftwood.

So... I use CO2. I'm home all the time and have watched the CO2 when it runs 24/7 and the constant display pH monitor I use does not change between night and day. I have a fan that blows on the surface to keep the tank oxygenated and cool (I let the digital heater regulate the temp). I use RO/DI only so the tank water stays healthy and the parameters are constant.

Maybe I'll grab some cheap CRS culls and give it a whirl. I used to have neo's in the tank before the BBA got in there somehow. I like the shrimp running around cleaning the leaves. The fish totally ignore them.