Dervie's 10g Shrimp Tank

Dervie

This is going to be my first ever Shrimp tank. I've kept numerous aquatic pets in the past (and current!) but for some reason, these inverts have just peaked my interest.

My fishless cycle started on October 19th, 2015 and has finished on November 15th, 2015.

Equipment:

Tank: 10g Rimless Starphire Tank

Substrate: Fluval Stratum (I regret not going with the Amazonia for it's buffering effect)

Filter: Generic Dual Filter Sponge (I plan to increase to two or replace for the larger sponge filter - which would be the better option?)

Heater: Hydor 50w

Light: Fluval A3935 Mini Power Compact Lamp (Not sure if I'm going to add an extra one for added light, not really growing plants)

Parameters: I am currently using tap water. Hopefully I could invest in a reliable and affordable RO unit in the near future.

pH: 7.6

dGH: 8

dKH: 3

TDS: averages around 250 (have seen it reached 298 even after a water change, oddly.)

Inhabitants:

Flora: At this moment, none. I'm not entirely sure which plants would do best with my weak lighting.

Fauna: TBD - deciding on 25 YCS for $25 or 10 Carbon Rilis for $50.

Pictures:

Xe5j6Vj.jpg

• This is right after my cycle and water change. No shrimps just yet!

Looks like a great start! Where did you find this Starphire Tank, usually only see this material on larger aquariums. Under your Fauna what is YCS?

"Substrate: Fluval Stratum (I regret not going with the Amazonia for it's buffering effect)"

If you ever plan on buying a buffering substrate, you need to get an RO unit first or buy RO water because your tap water will kill the substrate in a matter of few water changes.

Looks like a great start! Where did you find this Starphire Tank, usually only see this material on larger aquariums. Under your Fauna what is YCS?

Thanks! - Also, I'm from Canada so I picked them up from here http://tomsfish.blogspot.ca/2012/12/blog-post.html. It is pricer than the average 10g, but I wanted a rimless and I can't seem to find many people selling them so I went ahead and bought a brand new one lol. YCS is Yellow Cherry Shrimp, now, I'm not entirely sure if they normally go by that name, but I've seen it here and there.

"Substrate: Fluval Stratum (I regret not going with the Amazonia for it's buffering effect)"

If you ever plan on buying a buffering substrate, you need to get an RO unit first or buy RO water because your tap water will kill the substrate in a matter of few water changes.

I appreciate it! I didn't know this haha.

Update: Decided to go ahead and purchase some shrimps! Had someone within 45 minutes from my house that was selling Yellow Shrimps at a great price. Original agreement was 25 shrimps for $20, but he threw in about 7! :)

vDePXD8.jpg

You wouldn't need any buffering substrate for those yellows since they're neos. Could have save a little more money and gone with sand,regular gravel, etc. but up side to it you could possibly keep crs/cbs if your parameters were lower. Also use ro/di water. Not using it will just waste the substrate just as Poopians said.

I think most people run that size double sponge on a 10 gal. The nice thing about 2 sponges is you clean one at a time, less disruption of your cycle.

What are the details on the plastic canvas background? That looks interesting (i.e. something I want to do!).

I visited Michaels and purchased two pieces of plastic canvas (there are various colors, I went with clear/white) and measured the length and height needed for the background. Upon attaching them to my desired length, I used a knife and cut "pockets" that I could slide my moss through so that it would hold properly. In order to attach it to my back glass, I simply used 3 suction cups. A better explanation could be found here.

I'm so glad you got some shrimp, for a good price, and the color you wanted. I'll be following your progress!

Thanks! I'll try my best to update as I go on.

You wouldn't need any buffering substrate for those yellows since they're neos. Could have save a little more money and gone with sand,regular gravel, etc. but up side to it you could possibly keep crs/cbs if your parameters were lower. Also use ro/di water. Not using it will just waste the substrate just as Poopians said.

Sounds good, thanks for the input. I've decided to go with pure RO/DI remineralized with SS GH+. 

When you do water change, be sure to take it slow and measure pH.

You may need to raise KH to keep pH stabilized and above 7 pH.

If I plan to stock strictly Caridina (CRS/CBS/TB eventually), is it okay to keep the pH at 6.0 and kH at 0-1?