lets talk air pumps

So I'm in the planning stages for four new 10 gallons that will be running HMFs. Been looking for an affordable pump that would be able to run all those four plus possibly replacing the two whisper 40s running my other three tanks. I came across the eco plus commercial air 1. Has anyone have any experience with this pump? According to my math it'll only cost about a dollar a month to run, i have no idea what the operating costs of the whispers are but im trying to keep "hidden" cost as low as possible. I also plan to upgrade to four 40b with HMF once we get stationed at our next base in about 3 years, so if i can get a pump that would last that long and can run all those tanks it would be awesome.

What's your price range?   I have an Alita and love it.  I know they have the smaller one (the AL-6A).  Dependable, but costs more.  It has a linear piston push.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/alita-al-6a-linear-air-pump.html

My price range is around $50, maybe a bit more if i can sell some of my shrimp locally. I'm planning to get TBs so i wanna spend most of my budget on them. But that alita unit looks nice, might be worth spending extra since this will probably replace my other pumps and may be the last pump I'll ever need to buy.

I use several Fusion Air Pumps From Kens Fish. Alot of air and quiet. I think it would meet your budget and also be more then enough for the tanks your running. YOu might have to get 2 Fusion pumps depending how many tanks your going to run off each air pump and how you want to set it up-

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/fusion-700-air-pump.html

Those fusions don't look too bad. Maybe I'll use that to replace my two whisper 40s and use the whispers for my new tanks. Since they only cost about 2TB that will free up alot of TBs for my build. Might be able to start up two tanks ay once instead of one.

Those fusions don't look too bad. Maybe I'll use that to replace my two whisper 40s and use the whispers for my new tanks. Since they only cost about 2TB that will free up alot of TBs for my build. Might be able to start up two tanks ay once instead of one.

Yes if you don't want to splurge I think its your best option... Its what I did because I am on a budget too and its works great for me.

What is the difference in "noise level" with these larger pumps in comparison to small air pumps?  

For example, would the noise from an Alita (AL-6A) be more/less/same as several (4) Tetra Whisper pumps (10-40g)?

The whispers will be louder and you will be able to run more filters and deeper tanks with Alita.

Is the $5 difference in price (looking at the packages with manifolds) worth spending for the AL-15A?  It has nearly double the output (but consumes 2x as much power).  

Does anyone know if the AL-6A and the AL-15A are the same size?  The link from the Alita website isn't specific:

http://www.alita.com/airpump/pi_006u_en.php

Is it possible to have too powerful an air pump?  I currently have about 6-8 lines running, would love to be able to expand more.  Is there something you can buy to release extra air pressure silently?

Is the $5 difference in price (looking at the packages with manifolds) worth spending for the AL-15A?  It has nearly double the output (but consumes 2x as much power).  

Does anyone know if the AL-6A and the AL-15A are the same size?  The link from the Alita website isn't specific:

http://www.alita.com/airpump/pi_006u_en.php

Is it possible to have too powerful an air pump?  I currently have about 6-8 lines running, would love to be able to expand more.  Is there something you can buy to release extra air pressure silently?

From my understanding the 15a is more powerful. You can buy bleed offs (expensive) but I get this valve to bleed off air and use air stones to silence the hissing noise. Make sure you bleed off excess air or you could damage the pump.  http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00A8X1XI2?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s01

So I would be able to use airstones with the 12-gang manifold to bleed off extra air?  I'm looking at the pump with manifold in the link below.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/alita-al-15a-air-pump-12-gang-manifold.html

When you say airstones, do you mean the normal small ones, or do you mean the larger "bar" style ones?

So I would be able to use airstones with the 12-gang manifold to bleed off extra air?  I'm looking at the pump with manifold in the link below.

http://www.kensfish.com/aquarium-supplies/air-pumps/alita-al-15a-air-pump-12-gang-manifold.html

When you say airstones, do you mean the normal small ones, or do you mean the larger "bar" style ones?

yes you will bleed off from the manifold. I use these http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003XKALA8?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00 Its quiets  the sounds. If you dont it makes a loud hissing noise.

• 2 weeks later...

I just received the eco plus commercial air pump and it works excellent. It powers a 10 gallon, with two sponge filters, and a over sized sponge filter in a 55 gallon tank. I am only using half of the air hose connections so the power might drop a bit when I hook up more, but I am sure it will blow away four 10 gallon tanks. Only problem is that it is pretty loud, I previously had a tetra whisper 60. The whisper lost almost all of its power after a year, but it was only half as loud as the eco plus. I don't have any experience with the fusion air pumps but I have heard alot of good things. Best of luck!

I ordered an Alita air pump on 11/19 from Ken's Fish........the Alita was supposed to ship direct from manufacturer.  I've spoken to Alita and they haven't gotten my order from Ken's.  I've called 10+ times over the last two weeks trying to get any response, and emailed several times as well.  I haven't heard any response back and their phone is never answered, the mailbox used to take voicemails but is now full.

Have any of you successfully done business with Ken's in the past?  Anyone have secret phone numbers different from what they have posted on their "Contact Us"?

I ordered an Alita air pump on 11/19 from Ken's Fish........the Alita was supposed to ship direct from manufacturer.  I've spoken to Alita and they haven't gotten my order from Ken's.  I've called 10+ times over the last two weeks trying to get any response, and emailed several times as well.  I haven't heard any response back and their phone is never answered, the mailbox used to take voicemails but is now full.

Have any of you successfully done business with Ken's in the past?  Anyone have secret phone numbers different from what they have posted on their "Contact Us"?

I have seen posts in the past about people recommending kens and I never spoke up.  I placed a $900 order for air pumps, filters, lights and etc. I needed to return a $68 light unopened and it took him 70 days to answer my phone message. I finally get get an RMA  and send the light back. Took another 2 months and my bank to get a refund. Ken answered one phone message out of dozens and never replied to emails. He makes you jump through hoops like a circus pony with his RMA request on his website and it says you will get an RMA reply within 24 hours but that never happens and I filled it out 2 dozen times.  When he first started and I was in the african cichlid business I use to buy food in bulk from him and he was good but I dont what is going on.

Kens never answers the phone. Kens voicemail box is full 3/4 of the time. Ken never replies back to emails.

I will never do business with him again.

It took about 2 weeks for my alita to arrive.

What is the difference in "noise level" with these larger pumps in comparison to small air pumps?

For example, would the noise from an Alita (AL-6A) be more/less/same as several (4) Tetra Whisper pumps (10-40g)?

My Alita is more quiet than most cheap air punps, I run 40 sponge filters off it and still have air. I use 1/3 of what it would cost to run them with individual pumps.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk