Changing whole tank to RO DI

So I want to change over my blue dream tank to remineralized RODI. I was thinking of slowly doing 20 percent water changes every 5 days till it eventually becomes just the RODI water that I'm using. I also had an idea of taking out my shrimp and doing a 100 percent water change then once filled just acclimating my shrimp to this new tank water setup like as if I bought them from someplace. The tank has been setup for quite a while with a HOB filter and a dual sponge filter so I think the beneficial bacteria can handle the switch. Any thoughts would help !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I read some reviews on my RO filter and people were saying that it would get the water to about 10-25 ppm with the DI it takes it down to 0 so I can remineralize it with an empty slate.

My experience has been 3 tds with just ro from BRS. It has a di stage but don't really need it and the media does not last long. I think the average ro unit should have at least under 5 tds. And if your ro unit puts out that much tds it will blow through di media quick.  Also it is nice to bypass the di when the ro unit is first starting up because it takes it awhile to drop tds down to a reasonable number.  If you bypass the di resin during that stage it will make the di media last much longer. Up to you but di is really only needed for saltwater imo.  Ro filters and the pre filters are usually interchangeable and perhaps you could find some better ones for your unit?

I haven't made just RO water with my filter so I don't know what the tds is but I'll give it a try. The filter is there and I have a bag of resin to refill it so I'll probably just use it till its done. Thanks for the info though good to know that I can use just RO

Update.

I did a 100% water change on my tank that was tap. all my blue dreams are doing great they look happier compared to tap water and I had 4 molts in the first day. My water parameters are great as well no spikes in anything.