Prl stopped breeding

Lyana

Hi everyone, I thought I was going to have a nice colony of prl because they started breeding right away. But since the first three got berried nothing for two months.

I didn't try to change anything about their tank but I did lack off some dosing shrimpy daddy products.

TDS 116 (used to be 165) not sure how that happened

Gh 4

Ph 6.8 (used to be 6.5)

Kh 0

Ammonia 0

Nitrates close to zero

Tank has been overtaken by guppy grass. But would any of these things cause breeding to stop? I've been feeding a lot of different shrimp foods too.

post-1624-0-37703700-1448339248_thumb.jp

The berried ones too?

Perhaps not, but I have some that are very shy when they are berried. Of course I have neos and tigers so that may be different, but my berried females, especially the tigers, tend to stay hidden. Perhaps they don't want anyone to see them "fat?"

Time to change the soil.

Also, that much plant matter is scary. Throw it all out, it's stealing the good stuff from your soil your shrimp need. I use to think scaped tanks and shrimps can go hand in hand, but the fast growing plants, stems and foreground can deplete nutrients especially if you don't do nutrient dosing.

Stick to slow growing mosses and ferns for shrimp tanks.

I still see a lot of babies in my tank. I did have to crank up the heater in the tank to get back to 74-75.

I've have not given baby specific food for months. I have some but I stopped using it. All the powder stuff fouls the water causes algae issues. I don't know what they eat but I do have tons of moss. Maybe poopoo.

See lots of shrimp of different post-484-144842157659_thumb.jpg

post-484-144842167275_thumb.jpg

I'd say after removing most of the guppy grass if things don't improve restart is probably your best alternative to get the colony to bounce back.

Time to change the soil.

Also, that much plant matter is scary. Throw it all out, it's stealing the good stuff from your soil your shrimp need. I use to think scaped tanks and shrimps can go hand in hand, but the fast growing plants, stems and foreground can deplete nutrients especially if you don't do nutrient dosing.

Stick to slow growing mosses and ferns for shrimp tanks.

I still see a lot of babies in my tank. I did have to crank up the heater in the tank to get back to 74-75.

How on earth do I change the soil with the shrimp in there? The ph is up to 7 now so I think I need to change it out.

I took out over half of the plants, will take out more.

I would be patient how long have you had them? They will slow down breeding at certain times of the year. If you need to change soil you will have to remove all the shrimp.

Chances are you will lose a few could put them in another tank or just wait for the dust to settle. It's almost impossible to get them all out. Personally I wouldn't do anything but keep the tank stable, parameters in check and give them time.

Changing the soil or moving them and they won't breed at all for awhile. In my experience.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I've had them for 6 months I think. I really don't want to have to change out soil every 8 months. So what so people do it keep ph lower and stable after soil is used up?

I do use ro water with ss gh+

Everhing is good but my ph just is now saying 7 with pen and API test.

I've had them for 6 months I think. I really don't want to have to change out soil every 8 months. So what so people do it keep ph lower and stable after soil is used up?

I do use ro water with ss gh+

Everhing is good but my ph just is now saying 7 with pen and API test.

It ultimately depends on what the pH of RO water is.

My RODI water is at 5.3 pH so my substrate can buffer way longer than most.

8 months is kind of short. What's going on with the tank next to the one you have set up? Any issues with breeding in the other tank? Are you siphoning the soil (shortens life of soil)? What soil are you using (issues with control soil has been popping up)?

Trying to control the ph at this point would be a losing battle. When I do restart I place the sponge filter the heater and water from the tank in a 5 gallon bucket and put the shrimp in. You can also transfer the shrimps to the tank on the right if it's stable. Ph 7 is too high for the Prls to do well. Setup a new tank with Amazonia for your Prls. Keep this one for tigers. This is how tanks multiple!!! If my wife wasn't here to keep me in check I would be hoarding tanks. I only get 3, makes me sad.

Good luck.

8 months is kind of short. What's going on with the tank next to the one you have set up? Any issues with breeding in the other tank? Are you siphoning the soil (shortens life of soil)? What soil are you using (issues with control soil has been popping up)?

Trying to control the ph at this point would be a losing battle. When I do restart I place the sponge filter the heater and water from the tank in a 5 gallon bucket and put the shrimp in. You can also transfer the shrimps to the tank on the right if it's stable. Ph 7 is too high for the Prls to do well. Setup a new tank with Amazonia for your Prls. Keep this one for tigers. This is how tanks multiple!!! If my wife wasn't here to keep me in check I would be hoarding tanks. I only get 3, makes me sad.

Good luck.

The tank next to it is one I just restarted because I think a bacteria infection killed my last shrimps, I have tb in there now but they have only been in a few weeks so not expecting breeding yet. Both tanks have controsoil and the TB tank is testing at 6.8 which can is higher then when I first started it, it was 6.5. I don't siphon or anything, change water every two weeks.

I have a 20 gallon long I was planning on moving them to eventually anyway. I have another bag of controsoil I was going to use for it but now I'm not sure I want to because I don't want it to fail in 8 months.

I did use my tap water for cycling these two tanks, which can has a ph of 8.4 so I wonder if I depleted the soil a lot doing that.

The tank next to it is one I just restarted because I think a bacteria infection killed my last shrimps, I have tb in there now but they have only been in a few weeks so not expecting breeding yet. Both tanks have controsoil and the TB tank is testing at 6.8 which can is higher then when I first started it, it was 6.5. I don't siphon or anything, change water every two weeks.

I have a 20 gallon long I was planning on moving them to eventually anyway. I have another bag of controsoil I was going to use for it but now I'm not sure I want to because I don't want it to fail in 8 months.

I did use my tap water for cycling these two tanks, which can has a ph of 8.4 so I wonder if I depleted the soil a lot doing that.

How much shrimp are you planning to add to the 20 Gallon long?

If it's 10-20, you can simply just do this

Add Controsoil

Fill up tank with RO water and add Bacter AE for biofilm buildup

Run your filters

If you have a pH monitor, check the pH every 30 minutes till it stabilizes to see what pH the substrate is currently aiming for

If the pH is what you want, add remineralizer. 

Wait a few hours and add shrimp and Stability/Biodigest/w/e you use.

Worked great for me and no deaths.