Molting

What could be a cause to my fire shrimp unable to successfully molt?

They can't finish their complete molt and die. I woke up and saw a shrimp molting. The bottom part was done and still waiting for the head part. After 10 minutes later, it died and I see my other fire reds eating it. My water parameters seem to be fine.

pH 7.4

Ammo/Nitrite/Nitrate 0

kH 2

gH 5

TDS 160

I second Soothings recommendations.

What could be a cause to my fire shrimp unable to successfully molt?

They can't finish their complete molt and die. I woke up and saw a shrimp molting. The bottom part was done and still waiting for the head part. After 10 minutes later, it died and I see my other fire reds eating it. My water parameters seem to be fine.

pH 7.4

Ammo/Nitrite/Nitrate 0

kH 2

gH 5

TDS 160

Hi Poopian,

How often do you change water in that tank?

I am currently working on the schedule for water changes and one issue i am thinking of is MOLTING in adult shrimps.

What would you recommend?

Keep in mind i am not an expert!

This is what i am using Collard Greens. Cutitng back from high protein food, make shrimp growing too fast that the shell can not keep up with the body expansion.

Wow.  That's a lot.  Try feeding 3x a week, and not do dance.  Dance is supposed to induce molting, and can actually be detrimental if premature molting happens..

+1.

Grow + Stout. I think it is way too much protein

monday barley

wednesday stout

friday grow

that sounds good?

also does grow really expire after 4 months of opened?

IMHO still too much protein.

Sorry I already said that!LOL

just feed them things like spinach and kale leaves. how many shrimp do you have in what size tank? i have 8 tb in a  gal tank and only feed like 2 times a week. they eat the bio film in the tank and with that few shrimp will be a while before its picked clean and need to feed more often

just feed them things like spinach and kale leaves. how many shrimp do you have in what size tank? i have 8 tb in a  gal tank and only feed like 2 times a week. they eat the bio film in the tank and with that few shrimp will be a while before its picked clean and need to feed more often

Had 32 and now at 17.

10 gallon tank

All died after molting.

I thought it was low gH but I raised it to 8-9 and it's still dying.

Would feeding algae wafer be enough calcium?

http://www.petco.com/product/105276/TetraVeggie-Algae-Wafers-Extreme.aspx?CoreCat=OnSiteSearch