Tank health declining?

Lyana

I would try to vacuum off the top most layer, rinse it, and do a 15% water change let it clear up first and clean filter with a good rinsing. Up your temp to 74o and see if they are a bit more active then. It can't hurt to try...

Thanks everyone for all the advice, I decided to do a water restart as outlined on shrimpy daddy's website.

I wanted to take out all the pfr and move them to their own tank anyway, which would have been pretty hard without taking the tank apart.

I will update and let you know how the prl do, thy are in a storage tub right now.

A bit late to the party but Lyana I recently had the same experience with my shrimp only tank. It had been doing wonderfully well for about 7 months and all of a sudden breeding stopped, I was losing 2-3 shrimp a week and they all just seemed less active ... it was weird. Meanwhile in my cull tank which includes a few neon tetras and some african dwarf frogs the shrimp were still doing well. They were breeding like crazy and very active with no deaths. Both tanks have a black sand substrate with some light planting (java ferns and java moss). I use remineralized RO water and hadn't changed any part of my routine. The only thing I could think of that I did differently in the two tanks was that I vacuum the substrate in the cull tank (which includes fish and frogs) but don't in the shrimp only tank. So I started vacuuming the substrate during my regular weekly 10% water changes. I didn't go crazy, I just hit 2-3 spots each week keeping a close eye out for any shrimplets. I noticed results almost immediately. After 3 weeks of this the shrimp seem to be back to normal. There have been no more deaths, I've got 3 berried females and everyone is much more active again.

Sounds like your reset is already underway; that was my plan if the vacuuming didn't help. I hope it goes well and solves your problems. Good luck!

We started vacuuming our sand substrate as well. Seems to keep everyone happier and healthier (except perhaps Gill who does all of the work!) It really is a challenge working around newly hatched babies, but it seems to have improved survival rates all the way around.

My tanks are planted . I find that river pea size gravel safe .

If I wasn't going to keep plants I would only use a thin layer of sand, etc just enough to thinly cover the bottom .

I find that to much sand can build toxic gases due to anaerobic zones .

Over the past two years or so I've just started keeping cards.  If this helps any, lots of big breeders in Asia will tear down their tanks every 6 months and set up again... sounds expensive to me...

I'm not a breeder per-se as far as my shrimp are just a hobby and I don't breed anything fancy but IMO there is something wrong with that picture .

If anything I find an old tank to be the best . 

Granted my tanks are planted .

So far my shrimp are doing good, no more deaths and attacking food. I removed most of the plants and am dosing shrimpy daddy products for trace minerals and such. Will keep you guys posted.

• 2 weeks later...

I've had two of the adults that I know of die so far but the rest seem okay.

I've also noticed they're not growing as fast as the were when I first got them, but my neos aren't either, and they are in another tank. Both tanks the babies are barely growing, but my TBs grew really fast.